Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

21 inch vs 26 inch barrel for remington 870 with jellyhead .660?

Started by clfergus, February 15, 2015, 08:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

I have some extra Christmas cash laying around and see there are 21 inch vent rib turkey barrel you can buy for the 870. I already have a 26 inch barrel but noticed most new Turkey guns have a shorter barrel.

Any reason why they make the Turkey barrels so much shorter? Would it benefit me to get one? Would also serve as a nice home defense barrel using an Improved Cylinder choke correct?

Bama turkey hunter

I would stick with the 26" I hunt with a 870 with a 26" barrel and get great numbers. A friend of mine has a 870 with a 21" barrel and it was nowhere close to the 26" and we tried a lot of different ammo with no luck.
Tony

Oconeeguy

I had similar experience with Moss 535 20-inch barrel vs 28. The 28 was better pattern at 40 yds every time using same (Jellyhead) choke and shell.

K9Doc

Typically you lose velocity with a shorter barrel.
There maybe some difference in the pattern, but
The proper choke is the difference maker.
I prefer 24". Beat of both worlds.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

BandedSpur

Barrel length is a personal preference, but IMO short barrels have only one pro and several cons. Only pro is easier mobility walking under overhanging brush when slung and less chance of snagging brush when sitting down to shoot. Cons include lower velocity, more muzzle blast, and are generally tougher to get good patterns than the longer barrels. Having said that, with today's choke and ammo choices, any length barrel can produce great patterns. All my repeaters carry 26" barrels and all my fixed breach guns are 28". The O/Us are actually shorter than the repeaters due to the much shorter receivers on the fixed breach guns. I would shoot what you have.

clfergus

Thanks guys, I think maybe i'll just stick with my 26 inch this year.

Gobble!

Only benefit is they are easier to carry around. I'd stick with the 26"

SKFOOTER

You guys are really not being fair to the 21" barrel.  I've seen some that out pattern longer barreled guns with the right choke and load.  They just normally need to be choked a little tighter.  As has been mentioned every shotgun has its own personality; even identical guns.  So I would advise talking with those who confidently shoot 21" barreled guns and find out what their choke/load combination is before you throw the baby out with the bath water. :OGturkeyhead:

zeke632

If I had a hankering for a shorter barrel, with cash in hand, i'd go buy it.  I'd bet you'll find it will kill turkeys as far as you you ought to be shooting them.

Ihuntoldschool

Okay, I agree with SKFOOTER here. A short 21 inch barrel may pattern just as well or better than a 26 inch barrel of the same make, choke, and with the same shell. Choke determines pattern much more so than barrel length. I have seen this go both ways, sometimes a shorter barrel shoots better patterns, other times a longer barrel shoots better patterns with everything else being equal.
A lot of people disagree with me but that is okay. There is a belief that a shorter barrel is harder to get good patterns with than a longer barrel, but my experience does not bear that out. As far as velocity, all of the powder will burn within 18 inches or less of barrel length. You will continue to gain a minute amount of velocity with the longer barrel, as the shot continues to accelerate the longer it stays in the bore, up to a point.

This is more personal preference than anything, but I prefer the maneuverability of the shorter barrels for turkey hunting.

LARRYHAYNES

I have a 21" barrel and was testing it out last year with my buddy. I was using the same choke and ammo as my buddy. I tried 2 chokes the jebs and the rhino both .660 and so did he. The patterns were much better out of his gun than mine. We both were using 870s. But like other guys have posted. It really is a personal preference bc I killed turkeys with that barrel just as good as the 26".
LARRY

Gobble!

Sure shorter barrels will still kill turkey's but on average a longer barrel will shoot better, there will be sometimes that is not the case but most of the time the longer barrel will pattern better when shooting the same choke and shells. As I said though chances are a turkey won't be able to tell what length your barrel is.

clfergus

Well I bought this barrel tonight...Had a 40% off coupon and ended up getting it shipped for 127.00

The gun I have is a remington 870 NWTF Magnum receiver, black parkerized. The guy I got it from had added a set of Mossy Oak Obssession Shur-Shot stocks on it. Hope the Mossy Oak break up barrel won't look stupid with obssesion stock and black receiver. I mean it will kill a turkey but I like my stuff to look nice.

It was a impulse buy when i saw the 127.00 in the cart!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136469/remington-barrel-remington-870-super-mag-12-gauge-3-1-2-23-rem-choke-extra-full-turkey-choke-tube-vent-rib-new-mossy-oak-break-up-camo?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Gobble!