turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking Out Loud Here...

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 15, 2015, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

There's a possibility this has been brought up before, but I thought I'd throw it out there to get other's opinions. I've used Hevi 13 for the past several years, and have loved the results. Hits turkeys like a freight train and will roll a gobbler at ranges not allowed to speak of on this site. However, I've recently set up a new turkey gun, a Remington 870 super mag with a jebs headhunter choke. My best patterns with hevi shot are around 170 hits in a 10" ring, which is an excellent, even hunting pattern. I also recently tried some 3.5" Winchester longbeard #6s, and they put 289 hits in the 10" ring. Unbelievable for a lead shell. Part of me hates to switch to a product with shot that is inferior to that of hevi shot, but I wonder if the tremendous amount of pattern density would make up for the lack of pellet density? In other words, do you think the much tighter patterning longbeard would carry the same punch as hevi 13? I'm tempted to believe it would. As a final note, my other concern is that the longbeard pattern is possibly too tight to hunt with. What are your opinions? My intention here is to foster a friendly, open debate; not start a brand war or product bashing session. So what's everybody think?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

I'd hunt with ether one and wouldn't think anything about.  At my ranges they both are going to produce dead turkeys.  If was into longer range shots I'd lean toward the Hvy 13's.  But if I was into long range shots on turkeys I'd ditch both those choices and experiment with other options.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

StruttinGobbler3

You and I think very alike, guesswho. I am tempted to give the nod to the hevi 13. It is more than adequate for shots out to ranges that shouldn't be considered, as well as being a bit more open and providing a little wiggle room on those close gobblers.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

jordanz7935

I made the switch to longbeards from hevi 13 last year and havent looked back yet.Im getting mid 170s with 3.5 LB #5s out of my 935. I do think the added pattern density of the longbeards patterns makes up for "lack" of pellet density especially with the patterns your getting,at reasonable ranges. 289 in the 10 ring @ 40 is a very tight pattern though. I wouldnt be hunting that unless i had a red dot or scope on my gun. I would be hunting with the hevi13 if u have a bead or open sights. Ive always been a fan of lead #5s ive killed most of my turkeys over the years with lead #5s 12 and 20ga.

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on February 15, 2015, 05:20:44 PM
I'd hunt with ether one and wouldn't think anything about.  At my ranges they both are going to produce dead turkeys.  If was into longer range shots I'd lean toward the Hvy 13's.  But if I was into long range shots on turkeys I'd ditch both those choices and experiment with other options.   

Well said

Swampchickin234

I would shoot whatever you have the most of and not shed any tears either way. Both of those loads will flat out rock one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

HTL, hands down, due to the added density of the shot itself which provides more downrange  energy.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

taylorjones20

Hevi 13 all the way as others have said.  Seems like you've had great results with them in the past, sure wouldn't want to change it up and have a bad deal in the field. 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

StruttinGobbler3

That is another reason I'm hesitant to change; I have a lot of confidence in hevi 13. That confidence can mean a lot in the field.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

owlhoot

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 15, 2015, 09:58:20 PM
That is another reason I'm hesitant to change; I have a lot of confidence in hevi 13. That confidence can mean a lot in the field.
That is saying a lot for sure. Knowing a load works for your hunting.
If pattern density was all that was needed , we would all be shooting 8's.

But either of those 2 would work.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: guesswho on February 15, 2015, 05:20:44 PM

:agreed:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

mudhen

H-13 in a landslide for me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Snoodsniper

I hunted with the HTL products for a few years and it's a great product. I just didn't like the outrageous prices. I went back to lead BEFORE Longbeards came along and have had no trouble killing birds. Personally I'd use up the stock of hevi 13 then explore other options. The longbeard shells are an excellent product and my guess is you'll see more great stuff made with good old lead soon.

silvestris

I am getting great patterns at 40 yds. in both my SBE and my Encore with 3" Longbeard XR #6.  Getting a great 40 yd. pattern with my Rem. 11-87 Youth at 40 yds. with 3" Federal Heavyweight # 7.  Rhino chokes in the SBE & Encore.  Truglo in the 11-87.  Just need a pretty day to adjust the poa/poi with the Encore and 11-87.  The 11-87 is a dream to shoot and could become my go to gUn when the grandsons go back to soccer and baseball.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkey buster

I've shot about everything there is and love hevi, but not at the cost since I like to shoot a lot around the house. I tried longbeards last year just to see the hype and fell for them. Killed my limit of Louisiana gobblers just like every year at a fraction of the cost and in my opinion with the same results.