North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Use a rangefinder when hunting?

Started by WyoHunter, March 21, 2011, 07:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use a rangefinder when you're hunting?

Range landmarks when setting up
Range when you see bird coming in
Carry one but seldom use it
Own one but it stays home
Don't have a rengefinder

WyoHunter

I know a lot of us use a rangefinder when we pattern our guns but do we use one when we're hunting. I have one that I always use bowhunting but forget to take when I'm turkey hunting. What do you do and how do you use it if you do use one?  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Hognutz

I carry one and use it if I have the time. If a bird is hung up and the yardage is questionable, I try to use one. In most instances, the exact yardage is not critical...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

guesswho

I carry one if I'll be hunting a field turkey.  I suck at estimating yardage in the open, so I'll hit a rock, clump of grass ect. for a reference point while on a field.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

VAHUNTER

any tool that can be used to put the odd's in your favor is a good thing.
i have never owned a range finder. but that will change in a week or two.
i think its a great idea to know where your max range is when you setup
Good things come to those who wait

chatterbox

I agree with Ronnie. When hunting field birds, I think they come in very handy for ranging landmarks.

Skeeterbait

Absolutely use one.  Every time I set up unless a bird is coming in fast or it is a situation where I know I can't even see beyond the range of the gun.  But any other time I range landmarks and visually memorize an arc at the limit of my guns capability.  That way I know when the bird steps inside of that arc.  I never try to range a visible bird though.

hookedspur

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 21, 2011, 08:55:24 PM
Absolutely use one.  Every time I set up unless a bird is coming in fast or it is a situation where I know I can't even see beyond the range of the gun.  But any other time I range landmarks and visually memorize an arc at the limit of my guns capability.  That way I know when the bird steps inside of that arc.  I never try to range a visible bird though.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

GAbird

Usually only deer hunting.  If I'm using deke's, put 'em out around 20 yards as a mark and go from there.

alloutdoors

I had an old Bushnell that I would carry when bowhunting (deer or turkey) but it was kind of bulky so I didn't carry it much otherwise.  Last year I replaced it with a new Nikon that is much smaller so now I carry it pretty much everywhere.  I like to range various landmarks around my setup, but if I'm bowhunting and get an opportunity to use it right before the shot I will (like on a standing strutter).

200racing

i use one for bow hunting but leave it a home for any gun hunting. i shoot alot of 3-d so i am confident in my yardage estaments.
weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

Hoosierhunter

LX_Trkyhntr

Like others have said they can be VERY handy when hunting fields!  I accidentally took a shot much farther than what I was thinking a couple of years ago.  I was hunting a field and there was a small depression between me and the bird, when I took the shot I thought he was 45-48 yards.  When I ran out to him it was 59 steps.  He went straight down, but I do not want to shoot that far turkey hunting.  I will carry my rangefinder with me this year to avoid such mistakes, I do not want to wound a bird!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

hobbes

I use it quite a bit bowhunting for deer and elk, but find myself carrying it and forgetting to use it while turkey hunting.  If I am set up and not interacting with a bird I'll use it.  If I'm already interacting with a bird and moving on him, I seldom feel like I have time to use it.

mmusso

I never have used mine for turkey, but I put mine in my vest when i got back from this weekend's hunt. It couldn't hurt to carry