North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gotta get 'dat BOOM BOOM BOOOOM - New Rem 870 ShurShot Turkey Gun for b-day

Started by bamagtrdude, February 13, 2015, 02:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

:jackson:

Aaaawwwwhhh yeah...  First *new* turkey gun in about ...  10 years!  My b-day is coming up next Friday, and my wife made the mistake of asking me what I wanted, and of *COURSE* I said, "A new turkey gun..." and she was like, "How many guns do we need???!!"... 

Welp, I'm super-stoked; a buddy of mine had gotten a sweetheart deal on an 870 Super Mag that he decked out with a gun grip, etc. and he brought it over & I couldn't believe how light-weight it was!!  Any-HOO, as soon as day breaks, I've got a turkey paper target I'm gonna blast with some Rem Nitro 3" 5's & see what happens -- virgin blast comin' shortly, along with more pics & video!!!

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bammerslammer 50

tomstopper

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bamagtrdude

Thx guys!  Yes, the ShurShot stock is *nice*; definitely something I'll need to get used to, but I like the position I'm in w/that stock in the "turkey pose" sitting position...

Hey, can anybody confirm that the stock Wingmaster HD choke tube in this gun is .675 constriction, like this says right here: http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/ProBore-Choke-Wingmaster-HD-Gauge/dp/B00J47NFTS

If so, that's pretty good...  I believe I've read other posts on here where hunters with the same gun & factory choke are getting pretty decent results with their patterns...  Am ALL EARS on the best shell for the factory setup; I'll monkey with choke tubes & what-not later on...  Pretty dang happy w/the gun, straight from the assembly line!
---

Gamblinman

Congrats on the new gun

.660 Jellyhead has worked wonders in those 870's.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 13, 2015, 07:23:14 AM
Congrats on the new gun
.660 Jellyhead has worked wonders in those 870's.
Gman

Gman - 10-4, I've seen some of the posts about that combo, and yeah!  I'm a TightWad user myself & have found good results with it; may be time to check out the Jellyhead...  What shells have you seen folks use with that choke?  I have to say -- I'd really like to get the LongBeards to work in this gun; they're just ...  too strong of a shell to ignore...
---

turkey buster

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 13, 2015, 06:57:11 AM
Thx guys!  Yes, the ShurShot stock is *nice*; definitely something I'll need to get used to, but I like the position I'm in w/that stock in the "turkey pose" sitting position...

Hey, can anybody confirm that the stock Wingmaster HD choke tube in this gun is .675 constriction, like this says right here: http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/ProBore-Choke-Wingmaster-HD-Gauge/dp/B00J47NFTS

If so, that's pretty good...  I believe I've read other posts on here where hunters with the same gun & factory choke are getting pretty decent results with their patterns...  Am ALL EARS on the best shell for the factory setup; I'll monkey with choke tubes & what-not later on...  Pretty dang happy w/the gun, straight from the assembly line!

If I'm not mistaken the pro bore is only in the new versa max guns. Your pic looks like an 870 which would have ten chokes

bamagtrdude

Quote from: turkey buster on February 13, 2015, 08:11:57 AM
Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 13, 2015, 06:57:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken the pro bore is only in the new versa max guns. Your pic looks like an 870 which would have ten chokes

So...  do you know the constriction of the regular ole Wingmaster HD RemChoke Turkey/Predator?  I pulled the choke out & that's what is written on the outside, just like the one in this pic...
---

bammerslammer 50

I shoot the same gun with a 21" barrel. Mine loves longbeard 3.5/2/6 out of the hevi .662 choke. The factory wingmaster choke didn't do so hot out of it.

bamagtrdude

Shot the gun this morning, before work...

1st shot w/bird shot @ 20 yards: http://youtu.be/pSXnVoy4cbc

2nd shot w/Remington Nitro 3" 5's: http://youtu.be/YleUrcUKU14

:)  Can you say, "got a little excited!"  ??!!  hahaha...  Oh well, I'll get this thing on some bags & try 'er again @ 30 & 40 & maybe even 50/60...  The bird shot was a Remington HeavyDove load, and it got 267 bbs in an 8" square on the paper...
---

jordanz7935

I beleive that choke is .670. My buddy has that choke in his 870 turkey/predator and he shoots 3.5" Win supreme Hi Velocity # 5s with good results.

paturkeyhntr

bamagtrdude

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 13, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
I beleive that choke is .670. My buddy has that choke in his 870 turkey/predator and he shoots 3.5" Win supreme Hi Velocity # 5s with good results.

Awesome!
---