turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to turkey hunting....help on making my list

Started by clfergus, February 12, 2015, 09:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clfergus

Hey everyone....this April will be my first real go at turkey hunting in southern Indiana. I have been a couple times 10 years ago with my dad when neither of us had any clue what we were doing. Since then, my dad has taken one every year he has hunted. My job is usually busy in the spring so I never really have time to go when you factor in kids soccer and tee ball.

This year is the year and I am slowly trying to secure some items I think I might need. Was hoping to put a list out here and get some recommendations on what I am missing/don't need. Thanks ahead of time.

• Have - Remington 870 express (NWTF edition), 12 ga - 26 inch barrel VR with clip on fiber optic
  • Need - Choke Tube. Looking for a Jelly head .665 based on friend recommendations to keep costs down.
  • Need - Ammo recommendations, was thinking of trying the Longbeard XR #6 I read about here.
  • Have - Vest someone gave me.
  • Need - Crow call for locating? I also crow hunt some but have always had luck with decoys only.
  • Need - Box call. Slate call and which one are good cheap ones? Do I need a mouth call?
  • Have - Camo Leafy suit/face mask I sometimes use in Archery season for deer.
  • Have - Sharp Buck knife for cleaning

Thats all I can think of....am I missing anything?

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like you are off to a great start!!
1 - 870 is an excellent choice. I've shot one for 39 years.
2 - Jelly Heads, as with all other chokes, work great in some guns, not so much in others. I recommend that you get a minimum of 3 chokes to start out with, along with 3 types of ammo, and find out what your gun likes to eat.
3 - Longbeards are an excellent place to start. As with all other ammo, they work great in some guns, not so much in others. I recommend that you get a minimum of 3 types of ammo to start out with, along with 3 types of chokes, and find out what your gun likes to eat.
4 - Vests are personal preference.
5 - Yes on the crow call. Gobblers will shock gobble to that.
6 - Yes on the calls. You need a box, a slate and/or glass call, and a diaphragm. Start out with the cheap commercial ones, find out what you like and what you are good with, then work your way up to nice custom calls.
7 - Leafy suits give you an edge in my opinion. A little more realism. BUT, movement (or lack of movement) is the key to success.
8 - A good sharp knife is needed when you are successful.
:anim_25: :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey:

RutnNStrutn

Also, get yourself a good owl call. Gobblers hammer at them in the morning.

g8rvet

Or practice doing an owl call with your mouth.  They are not that hard to replicate and you never leave it at home!

First reply is spot on.

Mouth call would be the first one I would say master.  Maybe a slate.  I would say here in N Florida I do 70% calling with my slate, 20% with a mouth call and the others 10% is varied.  The mouth call is nice to give a little putt so he sticks his head up.  Last call he'll ever hear!  I hunt a lot when it is spitting rain and it is mouth call only then. My box call will work in the rain, I have not mastered it well enough for much but a yelp. 

Don't know if mosquitos are an issue, but if they are, a Thermacell should be on your list. May not be a problem there. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

clfergus

I think the box call, slate and mouth calls will be the hardest ones for me to pick. Any suggestions when I go into say Gander Mountain on a good mass produced brand. Are there certain variants to start with like a "raspy hen" box calls vs lil strut? Or do they all make similiar sounds based on how you change the pitch?

This is what I had been looking at: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Hunters-Specialties-H-S-Strut-Raspy-Old-Hen-Turkey-Call-Combo&i=704300

Snoodsniper

You have time to order a couple calls. Check out Cane Creek calls. Their pro custom glass is a real nice call for about 35.00. The slate is good too but I prefer glass. I've killed a few birds with them. PM gooserbat for mouth call suggestions. Going this route will save you time and money. You can get a good call at gander mountain but your gonna buy a few to find it.

bammerslammer 50

Hooks mouth calls work for me and are around 6 bucks a piece. mouth calls are cheap try a bunch of them to see what you like and what works for You!

ElkTurkMan

I also use a 870 as my turkey rig, and it like's Hevi13- 2oz #6's.  There is a $10.00 a box rebate right now for up to two boxes so that takes the sting out of the initial price. Before I switched to Hevi-13, I shot just regular 3" #6 federal's and they killed a bunch of birds and were really inexpensive shells.  As far as chokes go, I currently shoot a hevi-13 choke.  Before I switched to that I ahd a $20.00 Tru-Glo gobble stopper choke and it did just fine.  I would still be using this choke, but I got a good deal on the Hevi-13 Choke and  made the switch.
A great starter box call is the Primos box cutter.  It's very easy to learn on, and it sounds great.  I would put it up against some of the more expensive boxes I have purchased over the years.
Good Luck to you this spring, and be prepared Turkey hunting is HIGHLY addictive.

Gobble!

Toilet paper and a thermacell. In the event you ever need them they will be the most important thing in your vest.

g8rvet

I don't think I saw anyone say, but a small pair of binocs are awesome as well.  Don't need to be real fancy.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rio Fan

Don't forget a pair of small clippers that'll fit in your vest, I personally like the ratcheting models.  I would guess you'll definitely need to clip branches/vegetation from time to time. 

Cut N Run

There's definitely some great information here that will help you on your turkey hunting journey.

I'd suggest that you probably shouldn't rely on mouth calls until you get lots of practice in.  Box calls and slates are easier to produce realistic turkey calls out of than anything. There's no need alerting the gobbler that something's not right if you can avoid it.  If you get to where you can run a mouth call good, by all means go for it.

See what I mean>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKgkX-D17M

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tail Feathers

Add gloves, facemask and a Thermacell and you're about set.

The Longbeard 6's should do you nicely in that gun.  That choke too. :icon_thumright:

It doesn't have to take a lot of equipment.  But practice calling, invest in a good CD of real turkeys to get the cadence and sounds down.

It's a blast! :turkey2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

First off WELCOME to OG!  You have been given some excellent advice.  I want to add, don't go overboard to start with.  Turkey hunting can get overwhelming to start because of the gun, shells, choke, calls, decoys, vest and the list goes on.  You have a GREAT gun in the 870.  Get a choke and shell combo that works well in your 870 then get a box call and/or pot call and practice, practice, practice.  You will learn, as we all have, from mistakes you make.  This forum has a wealth of knowledge, so come back often if you have additional questions.

clfergus

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have picked up a few more items with some of my extra Christmas loot. I was able to score a Jellyhead .660 from a member here for a great price. I also ordered a Gibson Crow call today from midwest turkey supply.

I think I'll relax now until March. All I have left is some shells and calls. I have a KNight and Hale mouth call i got with my buck knife one time. Tried it out and was able to make some sounds ok. I was salivating like a wild dog though and spitting everywhere.

I was doing plock plock plock, cholk cholk cholk and pot pot pot.