turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your CLOSEST kill?

Started by GomerPyle, February 12, 2015, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

A touch farther than the end of the gun barrel.

tomstopper

Mine was about 12 yards away. I was only 14 and was learning how to call on my own. I seen the pros do it on tv and tried to replicate what they were doing. After not hearing anything for about an hour, I began packing up and thinking how stupid turkey hunting was. All the sudden from behind the big oak I was up against, a turkey gobbled and scared the crap out of me. Because the oak covered my whole body, I just raised up my gun and when he went by my tree at 12 yards, I dropped him. Been addicted ever since........

bmhern

It was about 5 yards. It was also self defense!!!

mudhen

Several birds at 3-5 steps...too close for comfort....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

RutnNStrutn

8 yards. I slipped in on a FLA WMA, owling as I went. Got no response, so when it got light, I set up on a fence line. After building a palm frond blind, I let out a few soft yelps. To my surprise, a gobbler fired off from inside of 50 yards!!! :o
I did some more soft, tree talk and heard him fly down. He walked in to my dekes, and saw something he didn't like. He dropped out of strut, and ran behind some bushes. He walked to the other side, and peeked around the edge, eyeballing my blind.
Too late, I was already on his neck!!
BOOM!!!!! :fud: :turkey:
I jumped up, ran to my bird and he was a dandy!! 20 lb, 11 inch beard, 1-1/2" spurred Osceola. Made the registry!!
After admiring him, I went back to my blind to pack my stuff up. Then I heard it, flop, flop, flop, flop.........
As it turned out, the wad hit him in the head and knocked him out. He woke up and commmenced to flopping. He died, but not before he flopped out a few wing feathers, and a huge patch of chest feathers, ruining my mount.
Oh well, whatcha gonna do? Still had a Florida Registry Osceola!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mgm1955

dirt road ninja

Within spitting range. We saw each other at the same time.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ericjames

About 5 feet from the choke tube was the closest. Just the way it played out.

Cut N Run

My closest was 14 feet. I've killed one at 19 feet, one at 7 yards and one at 11 yards too.

Luck counts, good or bad.

870FaceLift

Quote from: bmhern on February 12, 2015, 09:51:21 PM
It was about 5 yards. It was also self defense!!!

Same here!  I was calling to two gobblers about 75 yards out in a field when a tom crept in quietly and came out of a thicket to my side.  Never heard him or saw him until he was just about on my lap. I about needed a new pair of britches!  He looked me right in the eye and he was so close that I missed him completely.  My shot cleaned out that thicket though!
Pass it on...

strut2

I've killed 2 or 3 at about 10 yards.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: sippy cup on February 12, 2015, 05:41:46 PM
5 steps came around a root ball
Same thing as mine!  It was my first longbeard actually.  Two came in and they got so close because they were side by side and I couldn't shoot until the separated.  I was sitting up beside the rootball of a pushed over tree.  That was AWESOME close. :fud:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

turkeyfoot

7 yards 4 bearded bird I was a wreck was in wide open sitting up next to poplar he flew in to me landed at 10 yards behind me waited for him to turn he was in full strut then turned and busted him had to sit and wait forever for his fan to block his view never thought I would get away with it