OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your CLOSEST kill?

Started by GomerPyle, February 12, 2015, 05:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GomerPyle

people brag all the time about killing birds at 50,60,70+ yards, but what's your closest kill (pics of the damage welcome)
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

sippy cup

beware of longdale legend

cphill

4 or 5 yards in thick cover...I lost him then he moves out from behind a tree

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

PALongspur

7 or 8 steps a few years ago on a late season hammer during our last week!

SinGin

3 yards, I was setting in a creek bank. Turned that head inside out.

paboxcall

12 steps, right at fly down after a heavy rain storm and under the hemlocks.  Still surprised that gobbler didn't have singed feathers - heck of a fire ball out of that barrel.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Bigspurs68

I popped a quarter sized hole thru ones head at a couple feet. A buddy had killed a bird and as we were walking out, a bird gobbled at our shuffling in the leaves. I wasn't real fired up about killing one just yet so I decided to see what would happen if I used my buddy's bird as a decoy. I fanned his bird out aginst a tree and we sat basically beside it. A little calling and the other longbeard showed up. When he saw the turkey, he saw us. At first he putted and started to run but just as fast, he wheeled around and started agressive purring. After about 3 back and forth trips, putting then fighting purring, he gave up on us and attacked the recently deceased decoy. Assuming the whole time that he was a 2 yr old, I was just enjoying the show. Then I looked at his legs, hooks!! I knew he couldn't move fast enough to get away unless I missed so I just shouldered my gun quick and go my surprise, he just stopped flogging and gawked at me.....Boom!  I'll likely never see that behavior again and although it almost seemed unfair, I'm glad I shot. That way I have a story that won't fade from my memory anytime soon.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

turkey buster

About a foot from the end of the gun barrel. He came in hard over my shooting shoulder and got right in front of me.

Then killed one last year at 8 steps. He strutted all the way in from 75 yards or so but I couldn't swing to shoot until he was almost in my lap because of a pine tree in the way.

Snoodsniper

I've killed two in the same spot two separate years at 10 paces. They srut out a logging road and hop a high tensile fence looking for the girl of their dreams then get smacked upside the head by the ol' BPS. It's my favorite spot..get tucked in beside a great big multiflora rose. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. Who's idea was it to start asking questions like this anyway??

Jbird22

Around 8 steps or so. Knocked his beak completely off!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ncturkey

I killed a bird in 2004 and 2009 at 3 yards.

bowmaster5687

Right around 7 yards. Picture really doesn't quite do it justice

jakesdad

7 yards.Unfortunately i've had more misses than kills at that range :OGturkeyhead:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"