OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Superstitions

Started by dirt road ninja, February 11, 2015, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

derek

Too many!  I try to find a four leaf clover to fold up with each tag in my wallet.  Clover must be from the same state you are hunting. 

A box of lucky chams gets placed in the back seat of my truck right before the season.. as I walk away from the truck each morning I take a heaping handful, cannot drop any. 

I've also found that picking up deer sheds will ensure no turkey dies that day.. so they get avoided unless on way back to truck or not looking good anyways. 

I carry exactly 7 shells.  3 in gun, 4 in shell loops in vest.  If I shoot day before, it has to be replaced. 

Also I have a close turkey hunting friend, we seem to really feed off eachother when it comes to killing birds.. if I get a LBD! text, it usually isn't too long before he gets the same, or visa versa.  Very odd how many times that has worked. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

tomstopper

Superstition/Tradition

I have my daughters write on two shells (1 for each of them) and its anything they want. I rotate who's shell goes in first each year. They love doing this. The shells in the past have said "Good luck, Love You, Bye Mr Gobbler...etc). If they don't get used, I use them just to make sure the gun is sighted in before each season.....

Rio Fan

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2015, 08:53:36 AM
I rotate shells each hunt.  I don't let my hat touch the ground, this goes back to being a kid and what my Dad would do and then always tell me.   I also have a breast feather from a gobbler I killed over 40 years ago facing the barrel in the butt of my dedicated turkey gun at the time.

So no!  No superstitions here.

guesswho-
If a strong gust of wind comes up and blows your hat onto the ground, do you pack it up for the day?  ;)

For me, I try to never go into the woods without some toilet paper in my vest.  Bad things can happen!

Cut N Run

I always carry an ancient stone spear point in my vest to remind myself how difficult it used to be to hunt turkeys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mudhen

Take out and check the choke before each hunt (before loading of course).

Carry a turkey tote made from a 10 pt buck I shot in Iowa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Bigspurs68

I have my girls pick out the shell that will be in the chamber. They write their name on it and give it a kiss. Mom picks out theirs. That's just a couple things we are compelled to do.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

g8rvet

I say Psalm 118v24 in my head as the sun comes up, before gobble time.  I do it duck hunting too, before the birds start flying. Even have a sticker on the back of my boat to remind me. Ps118v24

"This is the day the Lord hath made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Helps to remind me the fun is in the pursuit, not in the squeeze of the trigger.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

Quote from: Rio Fan on February 12, 2015, 02:59:26 PM
guesswho-
If a strong gust of wind comes up and blows your hat onto the ground, do you pack it up for the day?  ;)

That don't happen, but if it did the confidence level goes way down. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Snoodsniper

I wear the same hat and I've had the same face mask for 20 years and will not hunt without it. Lost my gloves after killing my last bird of the season last year. I hope it doesn't give me bad JuJu this year. BTW some of you guys really have issues! Glad I'm in good company.

30_06

I write "turkey killer" on the chambered shell. Always carry a particular tiny antler in my pack.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: g8rvet on February 12, 2015, 05:33:03 PM
I say Psalm 118v24 in my head as the sun comes up, before gobble time.  I do it duck hunting too, before the birds start flying. Even have a sticker on the back of my boat to remind me. Ps118v24

Helps to remind me the fun is in the pursuit, not in the squeeze of the trigger.
This one I may adopt. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

yelpaholic

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 13, 2015, 02:51:59 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 12, 2015, 05:33:03 PM

This one I may adopt. :icon_thumright:

this one is worth keeping..... the rest of you guys may bear watching.... :goofball:

zeke632

This is probably odd, as its what you should do anyways. I wont take my gun off safety until a turkey is in range and I'm fixing to pull the trigger.  I've heard hunting partners on several occasions safetys snap off sometime when a gobbler is getting almost close enough, or steps behind a tree etc. Ive taken mine off early when it appeared like it was a for sure, done deal, only for something to go wrong.  I also carry a old leather tote, even though I made a "cooler" tote out of paracord. 
Wont wash clothes until the season is over. Wear an old worn out t-shirt that is falling apart, its my lucky one.  ::)

Blong

Quote from: zeke632 on February 14, 2015, 01:57:30 PM
This is probably odd, as its what you should do anyways. I wont take my gun off safety until a turkey is in range and I'm fixing to pull the trigger.  I've heard hunting partners on several occasions safetys snap off sometime when a gobbler is getting almost close enough, or steps behind a tree etc. Ive taken mine off early when it appeared like it was a for sure, done deal, only for something to go wrong.  I also carry a old leather tote, even though I made a "cooler" tote out of paracord. 
Wont wash clothes until the season is over. Wear an old worn out t-shirt that is falling apart, its my lucky one.  ::)
A safety coming off before the bird is in range and in the bead =no bird for me that day. Kinda like throwing out anchor after you catch one speckled trout, it poisons the water I think!