OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stabilizing pot call blanks

Started by KryptoniteKills, February 11, 2015, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KryptoniteKills

Been having issues with finished pots warping. I use kiln-dried lumber or blanks that have have been air-dried with moisture readings around the 8-10% mark. I seal them inside and out with a grain sealer after turning to try to prevent them from moving from fluctuations in humidity. Just curious what others do to combat warping wood?

mastevt

First off, your moisture needs to be 0 if your gonna stabilize.  Even at 2%, there is sufficient moisture to force out the resin during the oven process. It will bleed out.  I rough my blanks in diameter and thickness before I stabilize, then when they come out of the oven, I finish them.   If your having non stabilized blanks moving on ya, I suspect your moisture reading is higher in the center than what your reading on the surface.  If you have a toaster oven with a "Keep warm" setting, or temp setting around 120 degrees, put your roughed blanks in that over night, and finish them out in the morning.  I like to turn off the oven and let them cool down while in the oven, to get less warpage from the rapid cool down.  Hope this helps, post up your results!

KryptoniteKills

Thanks for the input. Like you suggested, I have suspected the moisture in the center of the blank to be higher. I will be looking for a toaster oven to give it a try. Thanks again.

mastevt

I picked mine up for $7 at a thrift store.  Took a little bit of time and looking, but better than spending large money on a new one just for drying and stabilizing wood.

stone road turkey calls

Something else that i use, and it works good is a food dehydrater. just lay your blanks on the racks and turn it own. down side it can take several days to a few weeks, but they are bone dry. 
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call