turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Delta LA200 Lathe

Started by ridgerunner, February 11, 2015, 11:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgerunner

I have a question..I've used a Delta LA200 for almost 10 years now. I have never used a Nova chuck, or barracuda style chuck..What chuck will work best for me using this Delta LA200 midi-lathe?

I mostly turn pot calls and strikers... and the system I use is time consuming and not very efficient..I'm thinking of buying one of these chucks to make my turning a little less hassle. Anyone have suggestions on which chuck to buy, or any advice..my current method uses a hardwood faceplate i made and hot glue etc..works pretty good, but looking to improve my system.

Thanks.

mastevt

I got a shopsmith, and like you, do mostly pots and strikers.  I bought the barracuda chuck, and the 8x1 TPI adapter to fit my SS.  Awesome chuck.  I can turn strikers faster now, with lots less vibration and harmonics from the old spur drive that came with the SS.  My guess the Nova would be just as good.

ridgerunner

Thanks for the advice Mastevt..I do like that the barracuda has more jaws that come with it than the Nova, but I hear the Nova is better quality.

callmakerman

I use the barracuda on my Delta and love it. The Nova is most likely a better chuck but the cost of all the extras is what drove me to the Barracuda in the first place.

ridgerunner

What model Barracuda chuck you using on your Delta callmakerman?

KryptoniteKills

I have a Oneway Talon and I love it.  Have never tried any other chucks so I cant compare but you may want to give it a sniff if the budget allows.

ridgerunner

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the info.