Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Truglo SSX .643 to tight for Hevi shot #6 or Mag Blend or any turkey round

Started by bigcountry25, February 10, 2015, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

The wad in the 12 gauge Federal Heavyweight loads is stiffer than the wad in the 20 gauge loads thus it is less forgiving.  That's why the SSX patterns the 20 gauge load so well and not the 12 gauge shell.  The Hevi-13 #7's should shine thru your 12 gauge SSX choke. 

briton

The federal heavyweight have the flight control wad which does not perform well in ported chokes like the SSX .643, every good pattern i have seen with the heavyweight # 7(although not many) is a non ported choke . I have the same setup(870/ ssx) and shoot magblends with good results. If it is the 10 inch circle you are concerned with try some longbeard #5, they were devastating at 40yds but were just too tight at 30 and below for me. Heavyweights pack a heck of a punch though so in my mind you dont have to have quite as many in his head and neck to the trick.

ILHUNTER

I shoot that exact combo, an old 870 express with the SSX .643 choke and use magnum blends.  Mr. Clark Busch made this recommendation for me.   At 40 yards in a 10" circle I will between 220 and 240 every time.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: briton on March 24, 2015, 10:44:33 AM
The federal heavyweight have the flight control wad which does not perform well in ported chokes like the SSX .643, every good pattern i have seen with the heavyweight # 7(although not many) is a non ported choke . I have the same setup(870/ ssx) and shoot magblends with good results. If it is the 10 inch circle you are concerned with try some longbeard #5, they were devastating at 40yds but were just too tight at 30 and below for me. Heavyweights pack a heck of a punch though so in my mind you dont have to have quite as many in his head and neck to the trick.
That is true normally for the 12 gauge load.  The 20 gauge HW 7 shell sometimes patterns as good or better thru a ported choke as it does thru a non-ported.  This is due to having a softer flight control wad than the 12 gauge shell.