OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Out West - Need Help!!

Started by Solid Snake, February 10, 2015, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Snake

I want to try an out of state turkey hunt with a friend out west somewhere. I really like the idea of Montana but know nothing about public land hunting.

Can anyone give good recommendations of places to hunt out west? What would be a good place to hunt during day and camp at night? I really like what I've seen about the Missouri Breaks but don't know much about the area as far as turkey. Any advice is welcome about public land hunting for turkey out west!!

hobbes

We killed a couple birds in the breaks a couple years ago.  The numbers were nothing to get excited about.  The biggest problem with the Breaks is the roads.  You are lost most of the time because most roads are not signed and they are mostly two-tracks that you can't tell if they are private or public.  The worst problem is when it rains.............you aren't going anywhere.........period.  Research mud in the Breaks.  It is unlike anything you've ever seen.   SE Montana is your best bet if you are determined to hunt MT.  Numbers have been down due to wet cold springs but the last couple springs have seemed better so I'm hoping to see a rebound in numbers.  I believe you will find more birds in the SD Black Hills or NE, but I've not hunted the BH and its been a couple years since I've hunted NE.

jblackburn

How far west?  I lived in eastern WA last year and also hunted in Idaho.  Lots of birds and relatively few hunters.  Not going to find many Merriams with pure white feathers (if that's what you are after) unless you go way northeast WA.  Mostly Rios and Rio Merriams hybrids
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Solid Snake

Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2015, 02:07:58 PM
We killed a couple birds in the breaks a couple years ago.  The numbers were nothing to get excited about.  The biggest problem with the Breaks is the roads.  You are lost most of the time because most roads are not signed and they are mostly two-tracks that you can't tell if they are private or public.  The worst problem is when it rains.............you aren't going anywhere.........period.  Research mud in the Breaks.  It is unlike anything you've ever seen.   SE Montana is your best bet if you are determined to hunt MT.  Numbers have been down due to wet cold springs but the last couple springs have seemed better so I'm hoping to see a rebound in numbers.  I believe you will find more birds in the SD Black Hills or NE, but I've not hunted the BH and its been a couple years since I've hunted NE.

Good info Hobbes, I was hoping you would comment. I'm not set on MT, I just like that state. Are all states out there where you have to apply and be drawn?? That crap is confusing to me...in IN all you do is buy your license and you're good to go. How does camping work in these places? Are their designated areas or do you just find a spot and setup?

hobbes

MT, NE, WA, ID, CO, WY......just buy your tag.  CO, WY, and I think ID have additional opportunities to draw limited tags also.  SD Black Hills requires an application but the tags are not limited other than you can only have one as a NR.  Be sure to verify all of that before hitting the road.  I think all but MT has their 2015 regs up already.

Camping on most NF or BLM is primitive or you can choose a campground.  Check with each respective agency for current rules.  Some areas have requirements for bear proof food storage. 

Solid Snake

OK that makes things so much easier. I was looking at CO and was thinking I needed a Masters degree to figure out what unit, license, hunt codes I need lol. So the Feb 12th deadline to apply is only for limited tags?

CO is a good possibility for me bc my good friend lives in CO Springs and is in the Army at Fort Carson. He's an Indiana boy too. Where would be the best spot to hunt in that area?

hobbes

I'll send you a PM later with some CO info.

Solid Snake

Thanks Hobbes, I really appreciate it all man!

spaightlabs

Snake - Fort Carson isn't far from turkeys that can be hunted on public land at all.  Lots of birds just up in the foothills  around CO Springs - Rampart Range Road is a long north-south road with decent access and some ok bird numbers, but those are going to be some ridge runners for the most part.

https://fortcarson.isportsman.net/hunting there is hunting available on Ft Carson itself.  If you like to travel I've had a couple of good hunts down around Pagosa Springs, but if you comely it can still be cold and snowy there...but very pretty country.

hobbes

Spaight.....hadn't seen you post in a while.  I don't post as much as I used to since moving to MT.  I hope all is well.

Solid Snake

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 10, 2015, 05:24:47 PM
Snake - Fort Carson isn't far from turkeys that can be hunted on public land at all.  Lots of birds just up in the foothills  around CO Springs - Rampart Range Road is a long north-south road with decent access and some ok bird numbers, but those are going to be some ridge runners for the most part.

https://fortcarson.isportsman.net/hunting there is hunting available on Ft Carson itself.  If you like to travel I've had a couple of good hunts down around Pagosa Springs, but if you comely it can still be cold and snowy there...but very pretty country.

This is great info for me and exactly what I was looking for! I can't imagine how cool it would be to turkey hunt in the mountains. Be a nice break from corn/bean/hay field hunting lol

I'm not sure what you mean when you say ridge runners. I guess I will have to do some research on hunting in the mountains  ;D

spaightlabs

Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Spaight.....hadn't seen you post in a while.  I don't post as much as I used to since moving to MT.  I hope all is well.

Been busy Hobbes - our house burned down in June about a week after turkey season ended (Big Green Egg caught it's table on fire, then the rest of the house...) so been chasing like a maniac keeping forward progress.  Lost everything in the fire 'cept the people, dogs and guns.  All the rest can be replaced, and we were fortunate to have great insurance (BIG shout out to USAA!!).

got back into the house 7.5 months later - about 3 weeks ago, and getting back on track.  I've got a pretty big Cabela's order coming up to get ready for gobbler season!   :you_rock:

Hope you and Isaac and family are well and getting ready for the spring.  You guys going back to IL this year?

spaightlabs

Quote from: Solid Snake on February 12, 2015, 06:56:28 AM

This is great info for me and exactly what I was looking for! I can't imagine how cool it would be to turkey hunt in the mountains. Be a nice break from corn/bean/hay field hunting lol

I'm not sure what you mean when you say ridge runners. I guess I will have to do some research on hunting in the mountains  ;D

What I mean by ridge runners is get yer legs and lungs in shape - these suckers put their track shoes on in the morning and don't take 'em off 'til the day is done.   ;D

hobbes

Quote from: spaightlabs on February 12, 2015, 10:42:48 AM
Quote from: Solid Snake on February 12, 2015, 06:56:28 AM

What I mean by ridge runners is get yer legs and lungs in shape - these suckers put their track shoes on in the morning and don't take 'em off 'til the day is done.   ;D

Merriams in the mountains (anywhere for that matter) can cover some crazy distances.

Spaight.....Isaac and family will be hunting IL, NE, and MT this year.  We may hunt IN also.  Last year for Isaac to get youth tags (turns 16 in May).  Boyd is still looking for first bird.  He missed an IL bird last year.
Sorry to hear about your house but glad you're getting settled back in.

Snake I'm still planning to send some info just been busy at work.

spaightlabs

That little bugger is 16 already?  Lawdy, I'm aging in dog years it seems...

Have great season and y'all be safe!