OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama turkey population down....

Started by ericjames, February 08, 2015, 10:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

What do you all think about the turkey population throughout the state? What do yall think has led to the decline? Do you think it is one main thing or multiple things. I know in the southwest part of the state  is getting pretty bad.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/progress/2015/02/05/state-study-wild-turkey-population/22923641/

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ericjames

Blong

Burn,burn, burn and then burn some more! We are starting to see improvement in our area because some landowners are doing this again. Privet hedge is the devil!!!! Around the Bienvielle nf there has always been turkeys because they burn like they should.

Tail Feathers

How can the turkey population drop from zero? ???

Guesswho!  You got some 'splainin' to do!!!! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

silvestris

In the Homochitto NF they burn during and after hunting season.  how ya like your eggs?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gamblinman

I thought there weren't any turkeys in AL. What the natives around here keep tellin' us.   ;D

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

worth612000

Quote from: Blong on February 08, 2015, 10:56:53 PM
Burn,burn, burn and then burn some more! We are starting to see improvement in our area because some landowners are doing this again. Privet hedge is the devil!!!! Around the Bienvielle nf there has always been turkeys because they burn like they should.

Privet Hedge, I have Privet Trees. Wished I owned stock in round up 25 years ago. Cut one limb and get 10 in return. They are on about 2500 feet of fence line and can't do much about it .

Blong

:thanks:
Quote from: silvestris on February 09, 2015, 02:01:38 AM
In the Homochitto NF they burn during and after hunting season.  how ya like your eggs?
That is insane! Surely Adam has told them not to burn after mid March. HNF is a beautiful place for sure. Hunted sandy creek last year, only time I have ever been on it.

crenshawco

They did they same thing on Upper Sardis while I was in school over there. We had a wet February and March, so they just burned in April and May. I couldn't believe it.

guesswho

I can't tell any difference in the population now than any other time.   A bad hatch two years in a row makes it hard for some folks to kill'em.  Just like a couple good hatches in a row creates a lot of expert turkey hunters.

I haven't seen a turkey in this state since 1994. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

J Hook Max

Eric is right, things are not good in the Southwest part of the state. Too much thick woods is definitely some of the problem and then lack of burning hasn't helped. In fact, they go hand in hand.
I have turkey hunted here for over thirty years and the last ten have not been anywhere close to the twenty before that. Hurricanes have also contributed to the thick woods and loss of big timber.
I'm not convinced that it won't get better one day but it may take reducing the limit or taking a couple of weeks off the season, at least for a few years. Arkansas did that and tings are getting better there now. A mandatory checking system would help but people here would have to be forced to accept it.

spam manwich

I have a farm in the southwest part of the state and our turkey numbers are stronger than ever. We do a lot of timber management and supplemental feeding for them throughout the year and it really has paid off

bammerslammer 50

I agree with controlled burns but come on. Be smart about it. Don't burn the woods off while everything is dropping babies and nesting. The management area I hunt stayed on fire in some area or another March till May. And if it wasn't burning it seemed like it was being logged. I'm no biologists but if you destroy habitat and prevent reproduction you'll see a decrease in just about everything. It's ridiculous!

J Hook Max