turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to cut plexiglass?

Started by sugarray, March 21, 2011, 03:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

I am done shooting, but would like to have a better way to make a 10" circle around my pattern.  I have a piece of plexiglass that I think I can get another circle out of.  Question is:

How would you cut it?

ILIKEHEVI-13

What I did if this will help is just went to my local glass company and had them cut me 2 10" circles from glass.  One is thicker than the other.  But they work perfectly for counting shot.  They are cut perfect and won't scratch up like plexiglass will.  You just don't want to drop them.  I think I paid like $15 for both of them.  

sugarray

I went to my local place and they wanted like $40 bucks for one.  That may have been plexiglass though.  I'll try again, maybe.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here ya go.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's how I squeeze the most out of my 10" numbers and draw perfctly round circles.   :you_rock:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yea I think they wanted $20 for plexiglass.  That's what I had them make me at first until I went to pick it up.  You should hve seen it.  It looked like a jigsay puzzle piece.  I looked at the guy and said nope won't work and told him that it sucked.  It has to be perfectly 10 all the way around.  He said you want glass then.  I said if it can be cut perfectly yes.  He knew I was upset.  I came back and he gave me 2 for $15.   :z-guntootsmiley:

sparelink

to cut a circle that are a few different ways that it can be done.

first and easiest is to drill a home in the middle of the plexi. then screw/nail it to a 8 in square piece of ply or similar. then t take it to a bandsaw and measure out 5 inches from the center and turn the plexi when cutting.

next was is to get a jig saw with a circle cutting jig and do it that way.

another way is to just free hand cut it but make sure you cut it like 10.25d and then sand it down into a perfect circle.

Skeeterbait

I used a dremmel, a circle cutting attachment, and a flush cutoff bit.  Just have to keep rpm down so it cuts and doesn't melt the plexi.  Instead of just cutting a circle, I cut a ring.  The inside of the ring is a 10 inch circle and the outside of the ring is a 12 inch circle.

archery1

WOW. JUST GET A PROTRACTOR ?  ALOT CHEAPER AND DRAWS A PERFECT 10" CIRCLE
Take a kid hunting

Jayhawkeye

my local glass shop charged me $8 for one 10" Plexiglas circle.  no hassle of cutting needed...
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

Skeeterbait

Quote from: archery1 on March 21, 2011, 05:24:01 PM

It is nice having a precut clear circle so you can move it around on the pattern looking for the most dense part of the pattern before drawing your circle.

whiskey

Plexiglas is tough to cut. There is a scoring tool that we use to cut plexi, but it would not be great for circles.

I will send you a PM with some more info.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 21, 2011, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: archery1 on March 21, 2011, 05:24:01 PM

It is nice having a precut clear circle so you can move it around on the pattern looking for the most dense part of the pattern before drawing your circle.

Exactly!

I hate turkeys

I found a 10" dinner plate. Don't tell the wife she dosen't know I use it.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Buxndiverdux

I'm in the glass business. Glass is cheaper and easier to cut. Plexiglass is ok, but it scratches real easy. Go to your local glass shop and ask for 1/4" plate glass with standard seamed edgework. It should last a long time unless you drop it on concrete.