turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Chalk

Started by KYStalker, February 06, 2015, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYStalker

To those that know.  Which type of chalk is best for a box call?  I've heard not to use regular classroom chalk but also heard that sidewalk chalk is fine.  Then there's carpenters chalk.  I just bought a nice call and don't want to mess it up.
If you're not first, your last!!

eddie234

I use the red, a lot of guys swear by the blue. Either will be fine, but remember a good box call don't need a lot of chalk. A little goes a long way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Turkeyman62

Red for me also. I think it's more gritty and grabs better  :gobble:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

KYStalker

Thanks for the info, but does the type matter or is it all the same?
If you're not first, your last!!

Turkeyman62

As long as it's oil free  :gobble: Penn's Woods used to make a brown chalk that was pretty good.
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

CPalmer72

how about the rain chalk? never used a whole lot of it, but i have used a little.

eddie234

I thought the rain chalk was just for strikers?

Will

Carpenters chalk.... I have used if for years and have had the same half ball shaped chalk for over 10 years.. I use several boxes in the spring and fall...

GSLAM95

Another vote here for Rain chalk.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

strutnrut

I use red rail road chalk but I like rain chalk then a layer of red chalk on a Teak box. 

BowBendr

Another vote for rain chalk. I use it on my scratch box strikers and my traditional box calls.

Jacobson

Quote from: Will on February 06, 2015, 02:20:46 PM
Carpenters chalk.... I have used if for years and have had the same half ball shaped chalk for over 10 years.. I use several boxes in the spring and fall...
X-2 I have tested a lot of chalk and this has been the best for me. I also have heard the rain chalk is great, but have not tried it.

JLCustomTurkeyCalls

We make our own chalk in bulk out of plaster of paris (same ingredients in sidewalk chalk).  Its a soft, yet gritty chalk.  Eddies right though, one good 1st chalking may be necessary, but once that box is broken in, you should be able to leave the chalk at home!

:turkey:

-Eric
JLCTC
www.jlcustomturkeycalls.com

JLCustomTurkeyCalls.com
Made in USA  Veteran Owned

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: BowBendr on February 06, 2015, 04:16:39 PM
Another vote for rain chalk. I use it on my scratch box strikers and my traditional box calls.
I do this as well. I also use rain chalk on my crystal pot call.