OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got my first of the year this morning.

Started by Gobbling Buck, March 21, 2011, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbling Buck

Scored on a bird this morning.  First of the season and the first at this new property.  I saw him yesterday and made a boneheaded move and they flushed, so I made a plan to get him this morning.  Got set up about 30 min before daybreak with some good pushed up limbs etc in the direction I thought the birds would enter the field from.  Left the other side open because of a lack of easy stuff to get to, noise, etc. and after all they were going to come in from the other side.  Well, I wasn't expecting the birds until about 9:00 or so (based on the previous day's information).  I heard the bird gobble 3 times, while on the roost, about 150yds away.  After the third gobble, I couldn't resist giving a light yelp on my slate call.  He never said another word.  I thought I may have boogered the hunt, but I sat quiet and patient.  After all, they weren't going to get there until about 9:00 or so.  Well, at 7:30ish I looked to my right and there are 3 hens entering the field with my buddy in tow.  He comes into the field and decides to put on a show.  They are 22yds away on my open side.  Then the first hen sees a new bush at the edge of the field that she must check out and decides to bring everyone with her.  She gets to about 8 feet from me and looks like something may be up and starts back to the end of the field to my right.  I'M RIGHT HANDED....this is not looking good.  Mr. Tom struts and looks back, I'm breathing like I'd been running from a grizzly bear and wondering what the heck I was going to do.  After what seemed like an eternity, I slide my stock across my chest to the left shoulder, then eased the barrel around (hitting a small pine and causing movement that got WAY too much attention), put the crosshairs on his noggin, pulled the lanyard on the shoulder mounted howitzer, and after my vision cleared up......there he lay dead in the field.  As a mental note, scopes on a shotgun are great......until you have to shoot with the wrong shoulder..... then they slow it down enough you can catch it after it clocks you in the nose. ::) ;D

paturkeyhntr

JVA54

Basser69

Beretta686

Congrats, awsome story. I have a scar between my eyes from a scope. Killed the rio, but something bit me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

sugarray

AWESOME story!!  You won't forget this one.

trkycaller

njdevilsb

Sounds like a great hunt.  Congrats, except for getting your bell rung.

gophert

I'm tired of shooting my gun at paper....I WANT TO HUNT!!!!  Great story.  :you_rock:

timbrhuntr

Great story. I had to sight my scope in with my opposite shoulder last year because I ripped up rotator cuff probably the only positve as now I feel comfortable shooting either side.

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

alloutdoors