Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Updated opinions on pattern count and chokes for Benelli Supernova?

Started by Timmer, February 05, 2015, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi all,

I have a Benelli Supernova and have been using an HS Strut Undertaker choke that was recommended at the store where I bought my gun. The Undertaker is a .675.  I have never thought that the pattern was all that great.  At 30 yards, the shot is pretty evenly spread over a circle that is significantly bigger than 10".  I played with various shells and had better luck with Federal Mag Shok lead with the flight control wad.  For the last couple of years I have been using Federal Mag Shok Heavyweight. 

I've shot a few birds over 30 yards, and my only miss was with a bird at a distance that would have been better measured in feet rather than yards.  Until I started visiting the Gun Pattern Pictures section and also patterning with a buddy and seeing his tight pattern, I always figured my choke was probably good enough.  I know people are posting pictures of really tight patterns with well over 200 hitting a 10" circle, but what number is bad? 

Assuming I want to get another choke, what would you guys recommend?  I'm I'm by no means married to Federal ammo by the way.  From what I'm gathering the leading contenders noted by most out here are the Truglo SSX, Indian Creek, Sumtoy, and Primos Jellyhead?  Anyone want to expound upon those or offer other suggestions?

Thanks!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

drum817

I owned a hunted with a supernova for several years.  I had GREAT luck with a .650 Sumtoy shooting Hevi 13 #7's.  I'm currently using the.same choke in a weatherby pa-459  (18.5" barrel) using Winchester longbeard 6's & 5's.  The 6's put up 190-232 and the 5's put up 150-160.  Hope this helps!!!  Good luck to ya!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

BandedSpur

Benellis have tight bores so the .675 you are using is not nearly as tight in that gun as it would be in a gun with a standard or larger bore diameter. With standard lead loads, your patterns should improve with a tighter choke. The TG SSX you mentioned would be a good low cost alternative. If you are willing to spend a little more, you can't go wrong with Sumtoy. Tell William what shell you plan to shoot, what type of pattern you are looking for, and he will sell you a choke that will optimize the pattern for that shell. He will also swap out chokes 'til you are satisfied - great customer service.

But the cheapest and fastest route to improved patterns is to pick up a box of Winch LBs in 5s or 6s. You will likely be amazed at the improvement with the choke you now own.

Timmer

Thanks guys, sounds like 2 votes for Sumtoy...

BandedSpur, you recommended Winchester LB.  I'm interested in heavy shot, and am hunting on public land this spring that requires lead-free.  Have you tried the Winchester Xtended Range?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

allaboutshooting

I've owned one of those guns, the Nova, since it was introduced. I also have a number of other Benelli shotguns, all have the same bore as the Nova/Super Nova.

The SSX is an excellent choice for that gun. Over the years hundreds and hundreds of my readers have used that combination with Hevi-13 shells with either #6 or #7 shot to successfully kill turkeys cleanly at all reasonable/ethical ranges. I have as well.

I would encourage to you to "deep clean" the bore of your SN. Since it's chrome-lined, it can appear to be clean when in fact it's not. Most Benelli shotguns pattern better with clean bores and it's surprising how much "gunk" can build up in those barrels, even with routine cleaning.

Good luck in the upcoming season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Danny1030

A Primos Jellyhead and some Mag Blends (Hevi-Shot) should do the trick. As far as hits in a 10" circle, MY personal minimum is 100 for MY maximum effective range. I also like to split that 10" circle into fourths and get a count for each one separately.  I feel this method gives me a better idea of how even my pattern is versus just looking at the target. You shouldn't have any trouble getting this at 40 yds out of a Super Nova with the right load/choke combo.

BandedSpur

Quote from: Timmer on February 06, 2015, 08:38:17 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like 2 votes for Sumtoy...

BandedSpur, you recommended Winchester LB.  I'm interested in heavy shot, and am hunting on public land this spring that requires lead-free.  Have you tried the Winchester Xtended Range?

Yes, but not in a Nova. And Winch no longer makes the XRHD. When I tried them in my Beretta (same bore diam as your Nova) they did 121/10 with a Wright"s .670 and 146 with a Wright's .660 with the 3" 6s. With 3" Fed HW 7s it did 105 with the .670 and 140 with the .660. Regardless of what you shoot, I think your patterns will improve with more choke, SSX .643 or Sumtoy .650.

worth612000

On my Beretta 391 with the mobile choke system, I went from a .665 to a .660 and saw a world of difference. I'am really believing it's the constriction and not the choke tube brand. Sumtoy which I have pestered quite a few times has a lot of knowledge regarding Beretta' s and Benelli's. But if you shoot the Federals the tube shouldn't be ported or have wad strippers. This is a no go for me due the wads they use.