OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Friend, foe or both?

Started by Blong, February 05, 2015, 07:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blong

Say u have this one bird that has been schooling you for most of the season. You can't wait to get up in the morning and go thru the routine again with him. If you kill him, do you feel sad that the chase is over or relieved that he is done for? I had one beat the brakes off me last year in a pine burn and I went the day after season closed just to hear him gobble a few more times until the next spring! Shouted out thanks for the season and told him I would be back next year. I developed a weird friendship with him but will try to stand on his head in a few weeks if he is still there!

guesswho

I kill with no regrets, but the next trip to the same spot seems a little strange.  I did have one in Bama a few years ago that played with my head half a season and about all the next.  Didn't hunt him exclusively, but did hunt him a fair bit.  Finally lucked up within 50 yards of his roost one morning.  Had my gun on my knee and he pitched down right in front of the barrel.  As soon as he hit the ground he knew he had messed up.  Gave me that oh crap look.  I just didn't feel right about it, felt like I didn't earn him so I just said bang.  He walked off nervously and after about ten minutes of being out of sight he gobbled.  There's not many that I don't eventually kill, but I never killed him.  Never really regretted letting him walk off.  But if I had a do over, I'd wad him up right where his feet hit the ground.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirt road ninja

I hunted a bird for two seasons on and off, never killed him. I've hunted some for a day or two, even a couple weekends in a row and killed them. I feel like the are all my friends, unless I'm in the woods trying to kill him, then he is my mortal enemy. After the hunt, whether successful are not, I feel privalaged that one "played" with me.

tomstopper

It's the excitement of playing the dance with a specific bird that brings me back yearly. If I am privileged to kill the bird after we build history, I always end up sitting down next to him and give thanks. I respect the history that we had built and do feel a little sad that's it over but to be honest, that sadness doesn't last long when I hear another gobble. Then the challenge begins with another one.

hookedspur

When the hunt ends either way ,the harder he was the more I relive it in thought and dreams.
But it has to end with me being the victor !!!  ;)
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

The Cohutta Strutter

Sure hope you get another go at him. He just may be a better bird and not the "dime a dozen" two year old variety,lol. I'll say if you can seal the deal on him I think it will be a much sweeter and memorable experience for you and that bird will be one you will likely never forget!  And yeah, I've talked to a few myself,lol. Good luck. Strutter.

Anybody seen America lately?

Blong

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on February 05, 2015, 08:50:51 PM
Sure hope you get another go at him. He just may be a better bird and not the "dime a dozen" two year old variety,lol. I'll say if you can seal the deal on him I think it will be a much sweeter and memorable experience for you and that bird will be one you will likely never forget! Good luck. Strutter.

I helped make him the way he is. I shot 2 others in there last year while he was standing his ground on the high road about 200 yds away. I cant help myself when those satellites slip in!

gobbler777

Bang >>>----> No Regreats >>>----> Great memories
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Bigspurs68

No old bird has gotten a free pass from me but I sure miss them when they're gone. Iv come to miss quite a few. I love hunting smart old birds.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: Blong on February 05, 2015, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on February 05, 2015, 08:50:51 PM
Sure hope you get another go at him. He just may be a better bird and not the "dime a dozen" two year old variety,lol. I'll say if you can seal the deal on him I think it will be a much sweeter and memorable experience for you and that bird will be one you will likely never forget! Good luck. Strutter.

I helped make him the way he is. I shot 2 others in there last year while he was standing his ground on the high road about 200 yds away. I cant help myself when those satellites slip in!
Nothing wrong with that. Bottom line: I like your situation and better yet your attitude. GO KILL  HIM !!! Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

spurman

I feel a little sad, I guess I am getting tender hearted in my old age. But if he gives me a chance I will take him home with me and be very thankful for the memories.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

willy8457

I kill with no regrets, you say you get up in the morning and go thru the  routine with him , I'd change the routine up, approach from different way, try to figure out where he goes after flydown.  I had a bird two years ago  I hunted  a bird four or five times in the morning, and he always flew down to the same place and met his lady's.i tired to beat him to the spot but always got busted by the hens. One day I hunted another place in the morning with out hearing a sound. Went back and tried the other bird at about. 11:00 o clock    I only called two or three times before he was standing  right in front of me ,   Stay after him  and good luck

TauntoHawk

I've only had one particular bird that beat me for an exteneded period of time, 4 days in a row we tried everything and I passed on several of his satalite toms inside 10yds waiting for me, final day we were within 30yds of his roost tree and wouldn't you know it he stayed in that tree til all the other birds were down and wandered off and than he pitched and sailed about 80yds out to catch up leaving us behind he just knew something wasn't right.

about 10 days later my buddy went back and killed him over a gobbler decoy set. 11-1/4 beard, 1-5/8th spurs, and 23+ lbs... Awesome bird and I remember those failed hunts as well as my sucessful ones my buddy got him mounted.

Did have a bird disappear last year a big bodied double beard, scouted him early spring and was there daily, season roled around and never saw him once. 5 birds died off that farm but not him, two weeks after season closed there he was again just hanging out. Scouted the farm better in deer season so hopefully i can figure out where he was going for the season and put him down.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

You gotta be careful about hunting that one single bird.  The only season I got skunked was when I chased this one hard to kill bird all season.  A one bird limit and by the time I decided I wasn't going to find him on that magic day, I couldn't find another one to play.
I have passed on one on opening morning flydown.  I just couldn't end my season two minutes into it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Blong

:drool:
Quote from: willy8457 on February 06, 2015, 09:17:24 AM
I kill with no regrets, you say you get up in the morning and go thru the  routine with him , I'd change the routine up, approach from different way, try to figure out where he goes after flydown.  I had a bird two years ago  I hunted  a bird four or five times in the morning, and he always flew down to the same place and met his lady's.i tired to beat him to the spot but always got busted by the hens. One day I hunted another place in the morning with out hearing a sound. Went back and tried the other bird at about. 11:00 o clock    I only called two or three times before he was standing  right in front of me ,   Stay after him  and good luck
I came with everything I had. Approached from every angle, called on limb, waited till on the ground and closed then called, Tried to cut him off silently. Not once did he do the same thing. I would go sit silently late in the Eve and he even gave s flyup gobble some times. I have been hunting birds for 33 years and was very careful not to bump him or let him see me. I would back out if he went into an area where that might happen.