turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Load and choke for youth

Started by Matt k, February 05, 2015, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt k

Hey guys, this will be the first year my oldest starts hunting. We are taking a trip to nebraska and will hunt around locally also. I bought a Mossberg 510 mini for him, he's small for his age so this was the best fit for him. I believe it has an 18.5" barrel. I was just wondering what kinda suggestions you guys have for loads and chokes. I don't want to tight of a choke, I would like a good patter for him since it's his first time and shot will be closer or he's not taking it. As far as shells, as many pellets as possible with light recoil would be great. Any help with suggestions would be great as I will be buying and trying different combos.  Thanks

born2hunt

Just went through this with my daughter and asked the same questions. Her gun is not a 510 but a Mossy sa-20 instead. But with the factory full it was perfect to 30 yards(120-130 hits) and just under 100 at 35 yards. Its plenty tight for a kid starting out . As far as loads go, everyone's gonna say Fed HW #7s , I wanted to use them but I couldn't find any in 2 3/4 (for recoil) so I stumbled across several boxes of older HEVI 2 3/4 #6s and got good results so I called it a day. I have only let her shoot light target loads and she wont see the HEVIs unless shooting at a bird . Good luck
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Matt k

Bowguy

I have taught many kids to hunt n called birds for grown men, old men, women and my again the kids. Many people staring out forget simple things such as proper gun or head position when excited. They need some help.
For real young kids I often start out with more open chokes such as mod, sometimes full, never turkey chokes.
Way too easy to miss. Shot sizes in my opinion should be small, #6 or one size either way. But you need to pattern the gun/load. Mod could throw a tighter or more open pattern depending on the shot.
Keep the shots close, 30 yards or so depending on pattern. And don't beat the youth up w turkey loads.
You scare them w them the child could quit or begin to pick up their face to get away from the recoil.
I'd pattern the gun away from the youth, then let em shoot very light loads at a turkey target.
First time they shot a turkey load would be at a turkey.
Know that doesn't sound right to some but it's worked for me every time.

jakesdad

My son is a small 8 year old(about 50 lbs and 4' tall) and he shoots the Mossberg mini. He uses the factory full choke with high brass 2 3/4 #6 field loads.Took some looking to find the high brass loads but we got em. Out to 25 yds its pretty solid and i'm not sure I want him shooting much farther than that at this point anyway.I also put a limbsaver pad and a tru-glo sight on it.Has not killed a spring bird but has killed 2 in the fall. Like a lot of folks,noise seems to be a bigger problem than actual recoil so for sure recommend good ear protection while practicing to prevent flinching and more importantly ear damage.He doesnt mind shooting it at all.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Bayou Gold

picked up a mossberg 510 mini with 18.5 barrel today at Academy for 279.  My oldest will be 6 this summer and is approx. 50lbs.  looking forward to youth hunt with him next weekend here in Miss.  :turkey2: