OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most bizarre or unorthodox way you've killed a bird?

Started by northms, February 04, 2015, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

With the season only about 6 weeks away for MS, what's the most unorthodox or bizarre way you've killed  a bird?

Once I killed a bird that was headed away from me with another tom one afternoon by hiding behind an old cattle feeder that have fallen down.  The tin roof that had fallen sideways to the ground and was standing vertically was the perfect hiding place.  I called and he refused to come back up this hill until and stuck my strutter deke out from behind it with the full fan.  Moved it ever so slightly and he couldn't stand it.  Thought another tom had stolen some hens he didn't know about up there.

He came charging up and when he topped a rise I had by barrel up and waiting. BOOM!!!!  Dead turkey.

dirt road ninja

Blong

:TrainWreck1:mine is not weird but very awesome! Was set up in a drain between two 120' ridges last year and there was a bachelor group roosted on top 3/10 of a mile away. We couldn't get any closer so I started calling back at the boss hen which was not happy with me. A Tom pitched and sailed all the way down the drain and lit 50 yds from us. A few steps later and he was done. It was an awesome sight! He looked like a sparrow coming at first.

bbcoach

Your going to say NO WAY but here goes.  About 5 years ago, a buddy and I went to southern Florida to try and fill our Osceola tag.  We were staying at his brothers cabin, that was about a mile off the main road, and the land it was setting on held several nice turkeys.  We hunted a lease a few days, with my buddy tagging out the first night we were there.  I on the other hand hunted hard 4 straight days but couldn't close the deal.  The afternoon before we were to leave, we set out a couple of decoys at the cabin, and were just chillin inside.  My buddy went to take a shower and out of no where a longbeard struts his stuff right past the cabin toward a live hen on the north end of the property.  I go to the bathroom door and tell him to get his --- out of the shower now!  He comes out dripping wet with a towel wrapped around him and hollars,"get your gun".  I grab my gun and load a shell in it.  The LB's focus is on the live hen and moves to the north end of the property which allows me to slip out the door and get setup by a fence some 30 yards away from the cabin.  My buddy cracks the window in the cabin, grabs a slate call and gives a few cuts and some soft yelps and says," He's coming."  I'm in a pair of shorts and T-shirt so I hunker down and remain perfectly still setting by this fence.  He continues with the soft yelps and whispers to me from the window, "he sees the decoys" and starts calling distance 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50 yards away but I can't see him.  Then I hear the familiar sound of him spitting and drumming.  I cue in on the sounds and when he breaks out in view at 25 yards I take him.  My first Osceola and a hunt I'll never forget. 

guesswho

Quote from: northms on February 04, 2015, 01:50:21 PM
what's the most unorthodox or bizarre way you've killed  a bird?
Killed one without a blind or decoy one time. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cut N Run

Had one gobbler that would come into a big hay field from the other side of the field that I didn't have rights to hunt on. The property line ran through the middle of the field and there was no way to catch him coming or going. He would strut and gobble from the highest spot (on our side) for hours and not respond to calling from the field edges. It was too aggravating.  He was expecting for any hens to come out to him & plenty did. The farm owner had bush hogged some weeds and brush beside the next field over, so I laid down some cut grass & weeds out in the field that the gobbler didn't seem to care about. A couple of days later, I went out in the hay field at night, to the low spot about 25-30 yards from where he liked to strut and laid down a camo tarp behind the low pile of weeds.  I put a tobacco sheet on top of the tarp that I covered with mowed grass, weeds, & some pine straw.  I propped the end of the tobacco sheet open with an old tobacco stick and some forked pine limbs on the ends. The next morning before light, I crawled in between the opening & waited.  That gobbler thought he had the world by the @$$, but he couldn't figure out where the hen he kept hearing was.  He took his time, but he finally strutted out to the high spot around 7:45 AM. I waited until his head was behind his fan to move. I clucked one time on a mouth call & when he brought his head up, I busted him with a 2 ounce load of #6s from a 3 inch Federal Supreme (before they screwed the wads up) out of my old single shot. It hurt like a son of a gun from laying down flat & shooting off the top of my shoulder, but it was worth it. He weighed 22 pounds 10 ounces, had 1.25 inch spurs, and 10.75 inch beard.  I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday, instead of 20 years ago, like it really was.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

jakesdad

Quote from: guesswho on February 04, 2015, 03:13:52 PM

Liar! Cant be done! :TooFunny:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Timmer

For me the most unorthodox was my first bird because I had no idea what I was doing and did everything wrong!

I decided to try turkey hunting but had no knowledge other than watching it a couple of times on TV hunting shows and reading some articles.  I bought a few calls and practiced via the included CD, found a farm and got permission, randomly chose a spot to set up for the next day (the only field that didn't have a mean bull and also a good tree to lean against facing the open field).  It was the first day of my first turkey hunt and other than getting to the field before sun up I did everything wrong.  I over called a ton, I was below the turkey that was way up the hill, he came down a logging road and ended up on the other side of a fence and across a creek.  I mounted my gun probably 45 minutes before he finally showed and I was shaking so bad the tip of my gun was probably swaying in a 4" radius.  I was set up along a dried out dike meant to hold run off from the hills.  I didn't get to see him until he came up the side of dike which was about 25 yards.  As soon as he crested and I saw his whole body, I pulled the trigger.  He tumbled over backwards and disappeared below the side of the dike.  I ran out to collect my "kill" and hadn't chambered another round.  I got to the edge of the dike wall and there was no turkey.  I scanned and saw him running so I shouldered my gun and pulled the trigger but it didn't go bang...no shell.  I quickly pumped another round and by now the turkey reached the edge of the woods.  I aimed at the back of his head and squeezed the trigger just as he was disappearing into the brush.  A few minutes later I was holding the biggest bird of my career from a weight perspective.  The bird was interesting in that was he actually appeared to be a jake as he had a short beard and short spurs.  In those times we had to take them in to register them and the DNR guy thought he must have had a hormone problem or something that turned him into the large beast he was.   
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

omegafoo

I've killed a couple that I've slipped up on. One I shot at 52 yards thinking he was ~45. Was walking down the road towards a new area late morning where I knew there was sign and he just stepped out from behind an oak tree. I hit the dirt, closed as much distance as possible before he got nervous. Pulled the trigger on my trusty 870 and down he went.

Killed another, with the same gun, early in my turkey hunting career and before I got a bit more patient while walking and calling. I'd walk and do the hard core run and gun and call and wait for a response. I'd slip in/out of food plots while doing this. I crossed the road and got into the plot but nothing there. I slipped out down the other road and eased out into the road. I could see a big bird in the middle and slipped back and yelped. When I eased back out all I could see was beard swinging side-to-side outside his body. At that point I just stepped back and waiting. he stopped in front @5-7 yards he realized there was a problem. That's when the gun went boom.

And, if you watch too much outdoors programming, I guess it is unorthodox that I killed a bird with two single clucks. He gobbled every breath coming to me until his death. One of my most memorable hunts ever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turkey buster

Ah the crawling kill story..

Opening day 2013 I was working and I completed my job early and begged the boss to let me go home so I could hunt and he did. I arrive at the lease and drive past the "big red hill" to a favorite spot to kill one. When I arrived no gobble. Bummed I figured well it's mid day he's moved so I left to start scouting. I drive past the red hill again and see gobbler tracks in my tire tracks. No more than 30 minutes later. I hide the truck, put a hen decoy in the road, and set up. After a few minutes I make a serious of yelps and nothing. I keep looking to my left and there's one bush blocking my view. I lay the gun down and walk to the bush, I stop and start breaking limbs and glance down the road and there's a full strut turkey luckily facing away from me. Thing had came in quiet.

The delimea...I left my gun where I was sitting!!

I crawl slowly back to my tree and set up. After about 5 minutes of soft yelps he still hasn't gobbled. Now I'm thinking no gobble and haven't seen him come so he must of seen me. I grab the gun and crawl back to the edge of the road and sure enough nothing! So I ease up to see around the bush I started breaking and there he is!!!

2 alarm clucks and 2 steps is all he made after seeing me get up. The 870 and 3.5 mag blends done the deal and he flopped dead. After getting my bird and thinking man that was a longer shot than I thought I got the range finder from the truck and I had shot him at 52 yards. Heck of a shot but not proud of shooting that far.

After all the commotion in just standing there and another gobbler steps out at 10 yards and runs off. Being the kind feller I am I let my cousin in on the secret and 2 days later he killed possibly that other bird at the bottom of the "big red hill".

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: jakesdad on February 04, 2015, 04:32:39 PM

It's getting real deep in here!!  Must have been a penned raised turkey.

hookedspur

Quote from: jakesdad on February 04, 2015, 04:32:39 PM

I was ready to raise the BS flag as well.   :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tail Feathers

Killed one left handed with the rear sight broke off.  He was a real boss Tom.  My buddy laid in a hole surrounding a tree for hours (place worn down by cattle) to kill a field bird.  It was the only "cover" for hundreds of yards.  That was a hard earned bird.  They were within 150 yards in an open pasture for hours before one broke and came in.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

Last years opener here in NY was my crazy hunt.What an opening day experience. The night before I had roosted two birds and this morning set up on them 100yds away on a pipeline. Around 7:30 they flew down and where 60yds away. I did some soft calling & everything was going good until a hen flew straight to them. The gobbler & Jake would gobble but not leave the hen who was by 8:30 pulling them away with her. I tried to stalk them and was doing OK but for every yard gained it seemed as if they were pulling away. I decided to gamble and ran straight toward them. The gobbler and jake ran straight downhill off the pipeline on one side and the hen on the other side.

I gave them about 15 minutes and started to call. Immediately I heard them both gobble about 150 yards downhill. I called again multiple times and could here them getting closer. Being patient, I wasn't going to call again when I thought they were about 70 yards away. Within minutes I seen the white and red heads coming through the brush. At 36 yards when they were in full strut the 870 and Turkey Thugs size 6 got to eat. Not my biggest bird but still a nice bird. 8.5in beard, 1in spurs and weighed 18lbs 12oz.... I have seen turkey's broken up in the fall and then called back together but never in the spring. The only thing I can think of was that because I was hunting on private property, these birds hadn't ever seen a crazy white/camo fat man running down the pipeline a day in their life. Must have been some site to see...Lol

fsu33952

I was hiding behind a dirt hump and a gobbler coming. Couldn't see him till his head was about 2 feet from my barrel if that. I pulled the trigger and he started flopping right into some muscadine vines. I jumped up and wrangled him down and got ahold of his feet. I almost got flogged to death. I looked like Mary Poppins but instead of an umbrella it was a flying turkey. I ended up stretching his neck under my boot. Not a pellet in him that I could find. Only turkey I ever killed without a gun.