OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 Makeover

Started by GomerPyle, February 04, 2015, 09:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GomerPyle

First shotgun my dad gave me, before my first dove hunt when I was 13(ish), was this Winchester 1300.  after toting my 28" barreled Stoeger 3500 for 2 seasons, I decided it was too dang heavy and thought maybe the Winchester would be a better option.  pulled them out of the safe one day and weighed them and the Winchester is a full 3 pounds lighter so I decided that was definitely the way to go.  last night I installed a new pistol grip stock from Phoenix Technologies and a set of Williams Fire Sights.  Eventually, I'd like to get it dipped in bottomland, but this is how it'll hunt this year.

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

jwhunter

looks good! Winchester 1300's are real turkey killers. you will love it even more once you kill a bird with the new makeover :)

scott ellis

Awesome! I love my 1300!!! Been hunting with it since 1987. Had a little barrel work done to it and will probably never turkey hunt with another gun, UNLESS I pass it on to my 8 year old.

GomerPyle

Quote from: scott ellis on February 04, 2015, 10:08:02 AM
Awesome! I love my 1300!!! Been hunting with it since 1987. Had a little barrel work done to it and will probably never turkey hunt with another gun, UNLESS I pass it on to my 8 year old.

out of curiosity, what choke/shell combo are you shooting out of it?
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

WNY Bowhunter

That was my first gun too. I killed a bunch of turkeys with it using a XXX Full Comp-N-Choke and Winchester Supreme HV 6's. I have since switched over to a 3.5" Browning BPS, which by the way kicks WAY LESS than that little Winchester does!!! :z-dizzy:
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

tomstopper

Love mine as well..... Very durable gun

Izzyjoe

I have a 120 Ranger, same gun, but I'm using an older Tru glo strut stopper, and it patterns very well with win xx #6, but I'm very excited cause today I got two boxes of LB's 5,6's that I'm gona try this weekend!

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

paboxcall

Sweet!  My 1300 loves a JH .660 with 3" Hevi #7, and a peach to carry.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mikejd

Favorite turkey gun. Hands down. No matter what gun I get I always go back to my 1300's.

Best combo will probably be an Indian Creek with Hevi 6's or 7's. Tht said it also likes longbeards. I have run probably 25 different chokes through mine.

Snoodsniper

BOFF