turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" shells out of a 3.5" gun

Started by yella yelper, February 03, 2015, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Is there any hard evidence that a 3" load will pattern better out of a 3.5" gun than its 3" counterpart? Example let's just take a Longbeard #5 out of a SBE vs an M1 both using the same choke. Surely somebody somewhere has tested this?  I know each gun is different, just looking for generalities.  My initial thought would it'd be the same but not for sure. Thoughts?

dirt road ninja

My opinion is that it would not make any difference at all.

Izzyjoe

Somebody probably has tried it, but I really don't think it make a real big difference if any.  I now a fellow that shoots 2 3/4 loads in a 11-87 sm with good results. He don't want the kick of 3" or 3.5's!

outdoors

I JUST BOUGHT A VERSA MAX AND I GOT SOME FEDERALS TURKEY THUGS 3" @ 3 1/2"
And a * BIG * PEICE OF CARDBOARD AND AT 30yrds. ON TOP I SHOT THE 3 1/2" AND
THE BOTTOM 3" AND TO MY SURPRISE  THE 3" SHOT ALOT BETTER PATTERN AND MORE
EVEN   And this was with a stock choke that came with it ...
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Ihuntoldschool

It can go either way just depends on the individual gun, choke, and load.

Bowguy

Guys it's too much shot being crammed into too small of an area. As soon as it hits the forcing cone it gets busted up n this leads to irregular patterns. On a gun such as the 835 w open cones and oversize barrel you will see a def increase in pattern density at least in the ones I own n tested. These are older guns though, on the newer ones nothing seems to have changed. You can prob get a better pattern in your 3-1/2 but it may mean more testing loads.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yella yelper on February 03, 2015, 08:14:39 PM
Is there any hard evidence that a 3" load will pattern better out of a 3.5" gun than its 3" counterpart? Example let's just take a Longbeard #5 out of a SBE vs an M1 both using the same choke. Surely somebody somewhere has tested this?  I know each gun is different, just looking for generalities.  My initial thought would it'd be the same but not for sure. Thoughts?

I've never seen evidence either way. I have some 3.5" chambered guns that pattern 3" shells exceptionally well and some 3" chambered guns that do the same. It just seems that some guns/barrels pattern better than others.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."