turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gopro

Started by WNCTracker, February 02, 2015, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Anybody ever taken a gopro gobbler hunting with them?  Got a hero 3+ for Christmas and would like to record a hunt for my two little future hunters. Any suggestions for mounting location ?  Head vs. chest vs. gun mount?  Any suggestions really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfresh55

i never hit the woods with out my go pro!  It all depends on your hunt, the head mount works fine but u can tmove to turn it on so it matter if your hunting out of a blind on against a tree. gun mount works great also cambel cameras makes a ground stake that is asome as well

Cbw33

i have made a custom mount that fits on my hat. you can get footage of the shot as well as anything you look at while wearing the hat. you can download the go pro app to control your go pro from your phone. i also go to settings and turn off all sounds and flashing lights. if you use the app you could always mount the go pro near your decoy for different footage.

mgm1955

They are awesome!! I use the headband but there are a variety of options that will work well. I also find the app for your phone more useful than the GoPro remote control.

J Lacey

Yeah download the AP to your phone so you'll have a viewfinder if your putting it somewhere besides your body. I like knowing whats in the frame if the gopro is stationary. THis will be my first season with the gopro but I've used it in the shop since Christmas. Fun to mount it on the shop vac hose.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

hookedspur

I have mine on the dekes and it has a remote to operate it ,pretty cool.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WNCTracker

Cbw33 - will you post a pic of your hat setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmer

I got a 4 silver for Christmas.  I haven't taken it to the field yet, but I went so far as getting out my gun, putting on my vest, and testing imaginary turkey hunts, thinking about how I usually set up, where the decoys would be, what angles I'd be wanting to cover, etc.  My $.02:

- Gun mounts - Read a lot of feedback, and from what I have gathered this is ok.  It generally catches the kill, but misses a lot of the incoming action.  Arguments are that it's not as high up as other mounts (head), you generally don't get your gun up until the bird is close, etc. 

- Backpack clip - I thought this would be the answer as I didn't like the feel of the headmount.  I tried clipping this to my vest, tried different spots on my chest and on my shoulder.  When sitting down and mounting my gun and taking actual footage, this turned out to be a failure.  The reality was that when I mounted my gun and aimed, the camera view would be blocked if I had it mounted low in the middle of my body or on the same shoulder as I mounted my gun.  If I mounted it on my other shoulder, it would point away from the action.  I tried some extensions to see if I could remedy this and didn't find a solution.  Between the clip and extensions I bought 3 packages of stuff and returned it all.

- Head mount - I still don't love the location of this as I can't see if it's been knocked out of place, whether it's filming, etc. but I believe it catches decent footage.  I proved how you will naturally be looking where the turkey is coming from, turning slowly and keeping the turkey centered in the frame, etc.  I do have some concerns about the camera tilting while I aim.

- Other mounts that aren't attached to the body.  I can see how this would work the best but haven't tried any.  I'm in my 40's and find that I don't have the memory I used to have (too much beer in college  ;D).  The thought of having to hike back 2 miles because I forgot my GoPro is a deterrent.  Maybe I could tie a string to my belt or something so I can't forget it.

I'm also playing with camouflage.  I bought a camo skin for it, but find it still leaves a lot of shiny area.  I took an old face mask and covered the unit and filmed and it turned out ok.  You can see little shadowy lines, but still clearly catch the action. 

Here's the camo head mount I purchased  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P1U3Q8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the camo skin I purchased  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG2TT82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I look forward to hearing other's advice.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!