OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey - deer symbiosis ?

Started by Oconeeguy, January 31, 2015, 07:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

SEVERAL times I have seen deer and turkeys in close proximity together in the woods. Too close too often to be chance. With much thought and pondering, I have a hypothesis that it must be a symbiotic relationship where the deer's sense of smell and turkey's super-vision are utilized together by both species for safety. I think I am on to something.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,47787.0.html

dirt road ninja

History tells us that prior to the TURKEY & DEER treaty of 1695 they worked against one another even hated each other, but as the treaty states, they must unite agianst hunters to foil our foolish attempts at them.

Bigspurs68

I think they both really like acorns.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

30_06

I rarely see them together/ near each other on public land. Private lands a little more. I tend to think the acorn thought is a pretty good one.

silvestris

I think they may sense the benefits they give each other, but common food sources is just as likely.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

crenshawco