Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You have $150 to buy a new turkey vest, which one would you buy and why?

Started by ScottS, January 30, 2015, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutch@fx4

I have the HS strut  vest for about 8 years now and I am very happy with it ,tons of pockets in all the right places ,all the calls have there spot I got room for the thermacell and can slip decoys in the back pouch ,it has a great pad to sit on as well ,I have been very happy with it and all the zippers and snaps still work like new ,,Dutch

captpete

I have an original Bucklick Creek vest(before they were bought by Bass Pro) & a Super Elite 3. I like the BL vest better. The SE has a much better seat, but other than that I perfer the old vest.  When I was wearing the Bucklick vest, I use to carry an extra 2" foam pad to sit on. I started using a Gobbler Lounger this year and I'm thinking of going back to the old vest. 

Tail Feathers

Quote from: SpitNDrumN on February 01, 2015, 11:24:09 AM
Best vest/best pockets/ toughest made is the Russell/mossy oak NWTF Limb hanger. Sadly Russell went out of business.
I tried that.  I don't like the cheap vest I bought. :help:  That lounger is heavy and hard to carry.  Maybe if it fits in the game bag...
Who said they used a cushion with the BassPro Bucklick Creek vest?  I love mine but it broke.  Is the back high enough when using a 2" cushion?  THAT idea appeals to me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 03, 2015, 09:17:11 PM
Quote from: SpitNDrumN on February 01, 2015, 11:24:09 AM
Best vest/best pockets/ toughest made is the Russell/mossy oak NWTF Limb hanger. Sadly Russell went out of business.
I tried that.  I don't like the cheap vest I bought. :help:  That lounger is heavy and hard to carry.  Maybe if it fits in the game bag...
Who said they used a cushion with the BassPro Bucklick Creek vest?  I love mine but it broke.  Is the back high enough when using a 2" cushion?  THAT idea appeals to me.

I used a 2" cushion with my pre-Bass Pro Bucklick vest. I just put the cushion on the ground then unfolded seat and sat on top of the cushion. The vest fit the same as sitting directly on the ground.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dutch@fx4

My HS strut vest has two box call pockets one on each side ,I am very very happy with this vest after many years of hunting it has stood the test with all rippers and snaps still working ,I have not had one problem with this vest ,love it Dutch

sixbird

I have an old Cabelas vest. Don't know the name of it but it has pockets for two long boxes, two or more short boxes, two pot calls, mouth calls and compartment pockets for whatever you want. It has a game pouch and a waist strap that really takes weight off your shoulders...The best part of this vest, is the seat. It's a wheel barrow sized inner tube encased in a zippered pouch that clips to the vest and drops down for a seat. You can talk about the "Taters and Old Toms and Tenzings"...There's NOTHING like that seat, nothing! You can sit on that baby for hours and hours and never feel a thing other than comfort...BUT, sadly they don't make it any more...Maybe some day I'll start my own vest company and make a seat like that...

Cut N Run

Quote from: davisd9 on June 04, 2015, 07:41:35 AM
Hard to find a vest with two box call pockets.

That Ol' Tom I-Beam vest has two box call pockets. They only work on shorter, wide boxes though.  I use a narrow long box every time I hunt and it kept sliding out of the vest pocket every time I'd lean forward. It doesn't take too many times of seeing your custom box call land in a mud puddle to learn that something ain't right. The box call pockets are set close to horizontal with the ground, which doesn't help hold calls in the pockets either.  The magnets that (supposedly) hold the seat in place were too weak and allowed the seat to drop down any time it slightly brushed limbs or branches.  I sent it back the day after I got it.

I love my Limbhanger and need to find a spare. I wish they still made them.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

davisd9

Quote from: Cut N Run on June 06, 2015, 08:00:57 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on June 04, 2015, 07:41:35 AM
Hard to find a vest with two box call pockets.

That Ol' Tom I-Beam vest has two box call pockets. They only work on shorter, wide boxes though.  I use a narrow long box every time I hunt and it kept sliding out of the vest pocket every time I'd lean forward. It doesn't take too many times of seeing your custom box call land in a mud puddle to learn that something ain't right. The box call pockets are set close to horizontal with the ground, which doesn't help hold calls in the pockets either.  The magnets that (supposedly) hold the seat in place were too weak and allowed the seat to drop down any time it slightly brushed limbs or branches.  I sent it back the day after I got it.

I love my Limbhanger and need to find a spare. I wish they still made them.

Jim

I beams are getting hard to find. Take you a black hair band and loop it in the loop and then around the handle of the box.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer