turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87, JH maximum .660, 3in LB 5 question

Started by turkey buster, January 29, 2015, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Guys I got a question. I got the 11-87 I've been bragging about (90's model original bottomland) shooting 3in long beard #5's through a jellyhead maximum .660 choke. I got the TG magnum gobble dot sights mounted on the rib and "zeroed" in. I'm use to shooting 3.5in #6's and turning high numbers out of other guns and this is the first time I've shot #5's at all. My numbers were low I think...160 to 170 tops is what I guess because I didn't have a true 10in circle but close to it. I was aimed at a turkey target and had 20-25 in the head every time.  I was shooting at 68 degrees at 41 yards (lazered). Up at 20 yards I'm good to go with a good even pattern that I didn't bother counting. Enough smack to do the deal id say most the shot in a cantaloupe size area with the overwhelming majority in the head/neck. Since I'm new to 5's do I have killing numbers out to 40 or am I coming up short?

captin_hook

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Gobble!

160-170 with #5s? You are good to go! Anything over 100 is good in my book.

turkey buster

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm just spoiled I went from 3.5in magnum blends to 3.5 LB and Hevi 6's all three shooting good numbers. Then I shot 5's and was shocked when I didn't see the holes im use too.  I've always heard 100 in the 10 at 40 was enough. That's with any size shot I'm guessing?

SKFOOTER

The 3 inch LongBeard #6's should give you numbers closer to 200 with your gun/choke combination if that's what your wanting.

turkey buster

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 29, 2015, 09:34:10 PM
The 3 inch LongBeard #6's should give you numbers closer to 200 with your gun/choke combination if that's what your wanting.

I'm just curious to what 5's will do to one is all.