OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Remington Hevi Shot

Started by Gooserbat, January 29, 2015, 10:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I have found literally cases of the stuff for $26-$29 a box.  All lengths (2.75", 3" 3.5" and #4, 5, 6 shot) in both the standard and the HV loads. 

I might want to try it but before I do I would like to know your experiences on how it shoots. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jakesdad

Not sure about the 12,but out of the 20 in 3" #6 its a gobblers nightmare.Not HW numbers by any means,but does much more than adequate and packs a wallop on turkey necks.

Would you be interested in selling some 2 3/4 or 3 in #6?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

the Ward

I picked up some Remington h-d 1-3/4 #6s for the 10 gauge a while back.It shot pretty good out of a .680 pure gold when I was patterning it. Did notice the buffer liked to leak out though on the ones I have.

Gooserbat

Sorry it cost to much to ship ammo to make it a lucrative deal. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gaswamp

I shot it up until last year.  Its good stuff.

Snoodsniper

It's terrible... Where did you find it???

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 29, 2015, 10:57:25 AM
I have found literally cases of the stuff for $26-$29 a box.  All lengths (2.75", 3" 3.5" and #4, 5, 6 shot) in both the standard and the HV loads. 

I might want to try it but before I do I would like to know your experiences on how it shoots.

A few years ago, they found literally a warehouse full of those shells. Dealers were offered them for under $6.00 per box. They sold it in stores for about $12.00. Many reloaders bought it just for the shot.

I have shot literally hundreds and hundreds of those shells in both 12 gauge (both payloads) and 20 gauge. It's a mild shooting shell. Compared to what we see today however, the patterns just aren't as dense or even.

Remington used the same wads as they used in their steel shot loads and filled the extra space with plastic beads. The wads were very stiff to keep the shot from contacting the bore but did not work especially well for patterning.

The 1 5/8 oz. load was the better 3" shell. While Remington recommended .675 as the tightest chokes for that load, it shot best in much tighter chokes. That wad kept most of the shot from ever touching the bore but it can certainly score chokes.

Thanks,
Clark

It will certainly kill turkeys.

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Dtrkyman

As good as anything I have ever used, 3.5 inch 6s were awesome, I have like one or two 5s left.

jakesdad

Compared to what we see today however, the patterns just aren't as dense or even.

I agree completely Clark.But(for me anyway)compared to lead,these shells were quite the improvement.While they dont measure up to "new" Hevi or TSS,the price that these cost as to what the newer stuff is and the better performance over lead is what attracted me to them.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Gooserbat

Sounds like I'll just stick with what I'm using now. 
NWTF Booth 1623

PALongspur

Not the best patterning shell I've ever shot but man did they ever hammer turkeys!

Snoodsniper

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 29, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
Quote from: Snoodsniper on January 29, 2015, 01:23:08 PM
It's terrible... Where did you find it???

In a gun shop  :TooFunny:

Seriously though. I used to shoot it and it was pretty good stuff but 26-29 bucks a box probably ain't that great of a deal. Especially when Long Beard XRs pattern better and are cheaper. I have a  3.5" #5 left if you want to try before you buy. ;)

Dtrkyman

I have not been into the pattern game for a loooong time, however those rem loads gave me 210 to 230 in a ten at 40 yards when I was chasing the ultimate pattern, they were simply amazing compared to lead!

Roost 1

I'd love to get my hands on some 3 1/2" #5s in standard velocity..
If you can get them I could swing by your booth in Nashville and pick them up...
Depending on price, would like a couple cases at least.