OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

shooting a jake

Started by dodger, March 21, 2011, 04:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

I killed the first jake in a long time last year in a case of mistaken identity.

I sat down on the top of a ridge with a gobbling bird on the roost on the hillside acrross from me. I heard 1 bird fly down and called. He gobbled back. A few minutes later I saw 1 bird strutting parallel to the creek headed upstream. I figured he was trying to get across.

A few minutes later I see movement out the corner of my eye. I turn slowly and catch a strutting turkey coming up the hill to my right at 15 yards. As he went behind a tree I shifted around and swing the gun up. He stepped out and caught movement before I could see more than his head. I lit him up.

When I ran over to him the longbeard and 4 more jakes were standing next to the creek looking at me. Not wanting to break my rule about doubling up I passed and turned back to the bird on the ground to see it was in fact a fine "Super Jake".

I don't get hung up on folks shooting jakes, I choose not to but even with the situation last year I was thankful for a fun hunt and some good meat.

Years ago the first time I tagged out on public land, all 5 birds were jakes. I did keep that under wraps for a long time  :laugh:

RutnNStrutn

I too don't fault anyone for shooting jakes if its legal. If its legal and makes you happy, shoot that jake!!!
I've only shot 2 jakes ever. My 1st turkey was a jake, and I'm still glad I took him. 2 years ago I also took a jake in SC. It was the only bird I got in SC that year, and I'm glad I took him as well.
This year, like every year, I don't plan on shooting a jake. But I'm switching to a different property up in SC for next year, and I've got 4 tags left, a bunch of money invested, and I won't be hunting that property next year. So if the longbeards don't cooperate, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a jake to put some more yummy turkey meat in the freezer.
I also wouldn't fault anyone for taking a jake on the last day of their hunt, nor for holding out because they wanted a longbeard.
Sometimes as hunters, we are our own worst enemies. We argue & criticize each other for not hunting the way we would hunt. Instead, we should be supporting each other in our individual pursuits of legal and ethical methods of hunting, and individual harvests. We need to come together as a hunting community, and not be at each other's throats. Instead of being in fractured groups, we need to stand united and support one another, lest the anti's tear our sport and our heritage and our rights apart at the seams.

LilFridWV

To me, its all about the hunt. If I call in a jake, then so be it I will take him. WV allows two bearded turkeys in the spring and one turkey in the fall (hen,gobbler, or jake). I would take a hen in the fall just for the thrill of bustin the flock up and calling in a bird. Its all about the hunt.

Horner

Quote from: neal on March 21, 2011, 03:20:39 PM
You buy the tag you do what you want with it as long as it's legal, it is none of my business as long as your having a good time!
AMEN!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Gobble!

i wont shoot a jake but dont care if others do

StruttinGobbler3

Doesn't bother me if other people shoot jakes. I personally won't shoot jakes. I do enjoy watching the show they put on from time to time though. If I take someone hunting and a jake comes in, I'll tell them to smoke him just as fast as I would a longbeard. Its all up to you and personal preference. As for me, every jake I pass up this season means one more two year old next year with decent spurs and a nice rope that will trot to me off the limb.  :happy0064:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

trkehunr93

In my home state of VA they are legal, I have shot them before.  Doesn't bother me if you kill a jake, I hunt one property where it is mature birds only so thats what gets shot there.  I would much rather kill a mature bird but if it's the last week a jake will take a ride home. Took a trip to TX last spring and had 3 days to hunt and 2 tags with the outfitter I used, needless to say I was not going home eating tag soup.  1 longbeard and 1 jake heard the BOOM then FLOPPED in TX in 2010!   

ncturkey

You hit the nail on head with your statement.
Quote from: OntarioGobbler on March 21, 2011, 12:48:03 PM
you know the thing I love about turkey hunters versus deer hunters is the appreciation for the game far more than the trophy at the end of the hunt. No split G2's, droptines, heavy mass, kicker points to amaze at. Let's be honest, for the most part turkeys look the same. We are talking a few shorter feathers and 1/8's of inches on spurs all round.

Now I love big sharp hooks as much as the next guy but what is it that makes us want to dust that old gobbler (and I don't mean our admin)? It's the satisfaction of playing the game against the toughest oppenent we can and winning the game. period. That's why guys like to highlight private versus public land birds all the time. Someone already referenced this point. I mean if you go toe -toe with an old wily gobbler all season long and after finally killing him find he's spurless do you wish you could of tagged another bird? A true turkey hunter doesn't worry about that IMO.

So my point is jakes can sometimes play as fun a game as the next bird. 25 kills I have 3 jakes and every one of them I don't regret. The first was my first "foreign" bird. Travelled a long way and after what I went thru to get him in front of me I didn't hesitate. The second I actually sat there watching it for a good 5 seconds after my buddy killed his bird. He had travelled a long way and it was our first hunt together. The opportunity for a double with him was far more important than the length of a spur.

Population issues are different thing. Population management might be a reason to let your area get more mature gobblers in the flock. They are more likely to survive winters, predators etc.

ncturkey

Well said.
Quote from: mmusso on March 21, 2011, 01:30:12 PM
If he plays the game, I would have no problem shooting a jake.

Last year I had one of the best hunts I've ever been on, with one of my best friends (another OG member who will remain nameless), jake-mobile, and a jake. We sat down together with jake-mobile about 15 yards in front of us, and I started calling. Not even 20min. later, the jake popped up over a rise in the field. He looked our way and sprinted across the wide open pasture straight to jake-mobile, blew up, and immediately started strutting circles around the decoy. Then he started kicking jake-mobile in the face repeatedly with each pass.

After this went on for a minute or two right in fornt of us, the conversation against the trees then went like this:
Nameless: Is it a jake?
Me: Yes
-The kicking in the face continues...-
Me: I'm shooting him, I can't stand this
Nameless: No, don't shoot
Me: Dude, he's tearing up my decoy
Nameless: Your decoy's fine. Don't shoot
Me: If he gobbles, I'm shooting him (Nameless still claims to not have heard this)
- I cutt as loud and fast as possible, the jake gobbles, I click my safety off, and Nameless rolls him mid-gobble...-
Me: Really? What happened to don't shoot?
Nameless: What? He gobbled...

Then Nameless went into the whole "I can't believe I shot a jake, you can't tell anybody" thing, and to this day I have not told anyone.

I didn't say this to call Nameless out, or to judge anyone else's decision to shoot or pass, but the "it's just a jake" or "why would you shoot a young buck" attitude is ruining hunting. If it gets your heart racing, you want to shoot it and it's legal, then blast away. At the same time, you can't shoot everything that walks and then complain about not having enough mature animals to hunt next year. I would pay a lot of money to have a hunt like that again and to shoot that bird. I have never shot a jake to this day and have had multiple opportunities were I just didn't want to, but if I have another hunt like that one where he acts like a big boy, he's getting shot like a big boy...
Sorry to rant, but this bothers me.

vicksburg

No, Illegal to shoot jakes here in MS.  I travel all over every year to different states, and still will not shoot a jake.  I've killed enough turkeys to not have the need to kill a jake.  I don't knock anyone for doing it, it's just not what i'm looking for. 
]

BoWhoop

The problem I have with the original post on this thread is it encourages drawing a line in the sand.  If you do things differently than I want you to do them, you are obviously doing it wrong and its unacceptable.  I don't buy into that.

If someone wants to finance my turkey hunting trips, licenses, leases, equipment, and maybe put me on their payroll, then yeah, I'll shoot what they want me to shoot.  Until then, I'll shoot what I want.

What I want are longbeards, or more accurately, long spurs!  Shooting jakes and 2 or 3 year olds doesn't equal long spurs. 

Still, I reserve the right to shoot anything legal, and don't think anyone else should get browbeat into passing up opportunities that they will later regret not acting on.

Its all about having an enjoyable, safe, legal hunt.

okgobbler

Shoot whatever you want!  Your out there to have a good time arent you?  People are way to hung up on trophies anymore.  Just go have fun.

magicman

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 22, 2011, 02:58:44 PM
I too don't fault anyone for shooting jakes if its legal. If its legal and makes you happy, shoot that jake!!!
I've only shot 2 jakes ever. My 1st turkey was a jake, and I'm still glad I took him. 2 years ago I also took a jake in SC. It was the only bird I got in SC that year, and I'm glad I took him as well.
This year, like every year, I don't plan on shooting a jake. But I'm switching to a different property up in SC for next year, and I've got 4 tags left, a bunch of money invested, and I won't be hunting that property next year. So if the longbeards don't cooperate, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a jake to put some more yummy turkey meat in the freezer.
I also wouldn't fault anyone for taking a jake on the last day of their hunt, nor for holding out because they wanted a longbeard.
Sometimes as hunters, we are our own worst enemies. We argue & criticize each other for not hunting the way we would hunt. Instead, we should be supporting each other in our individual pursuits of legal and ethical methods of hunting, and individual harvests. We need to come together as a hunting community, and not be at each other's throats. Instead of being in fractured groups, we need to stand united and support one another, lest the anti's tear our sport and our heritage and our rights apart at the seams.

:agreed:

swamp_bird89

I about shot one outta spite yesterday morning.

Horner

Quote from: okgobbler on March 23, 2011, 04:09:51 PM
Shoot whatever you want!  Your out there to have a good time arent you?  People are way to hung up on trophies anymore.  Just go have fun.

I love this, finally someone said it.........

The fun has almost been taken out of hunting.
I remember when I was in school, I shot my first deer, a doe.  I was very excited, until I started to tell people about it.  It was big deal, its just a doe from most of my class mates.  
That was 16 years ago, I can only imagine that it is much worse today in the age of the big buck.

We need to get back to the days where if you hunted and where successful, it was a trophy no matter what its size.