turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shooting a jake

Started by dodger, March 21, 2011, 04:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

First bird I ever shot was a big Tom. I decided I wanted to kill a Jake for the wall. Took 2 years to kill one. After that I decided I wouldn't shoot jakes anymore. Now I am a jake magnet and its hard sometimes not to shoot em in da face.

As for others I agree that whatever makes you happy as long as it is legal. (other than roost shooting which is legal where I am but thats another story)

lmbhngr

I prefer not to but to each his own.

Jay

Years ago took my first Turkey, which was a Jake. That was the last one. I really need a Jake fan for my Pretty Boy vs the mature fan I'm using, so if it gets down to the last day, I might be tempted for the fan, and some meat to put one down. For everyone else, I really don't care what they shoot, if it's a legal kill.

mudhen

Some of the easiest birds I have ever killed were two year olds with 9" beards.

Once called in 9 Kansas toms, none with less than 9" beards, all stood around at 15 yards for 20 minutes before I shot one.

I have only shot 3-4 jakes in the past 10 years.  Shot a lot when I was first starting off.

Nowadays, they only way I'll kill a jake is accidentallyonpurpose, which is if he presents himself in a manner that is likely to get hisself shot.  Had one last year work for 20-30 minutes, good gobbles, sneaked in from behind like a good tom would.  Saw a decent beard, brushy shot, any bird with a visible beard is legal here, nice fat red head, he got hisself shot.  Turned out to be a 16.5 jake, 6.5" decent beard, and one of those super-jake tails with just the last two on each end being full.  No regrets.  Took nice photos.  Fun hunt.

Have passed on maybe 200+- jakes in the past 10 years when they wander in and just stand there, so I think I'm ok with an excuse me jake every now an then.  Besides, it's none of my business what others do for the most part...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

alloutdoors

Personally no, if someone else wants to though that's up to them.

Like already mentioned, it only bothers me if someone complains about the lack of tom's or mature bucks in their area while they shoot every jake or yearling buck that walks by.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: chcltlabz on March 21, 2011, 09:39:24 AM
I go home empty handed first.  I've killed enough birds to not need to shoot another jake.  I enjoy the hunt and working birds more than pulling the trigger, so I have no problem letting that jake walk.

I have no problem with anyone shooting a jake though. 
x2 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

billy29435

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 21, 2011, 07:04:40 PM
Quote from: chcltlabz on March 21, 2011, 09:39:24 AM
I go home empty handed first.  I've killed enough birds to not need to shoot another jake.  I enjoy the hunt and working birds more than pulling the trigger, so I have no problem letting that jake walk.

I have no problem with anyone shooting a jake though. 
x2 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Same here :you_rock:

Hoosierhunter

For now yes I would being new to turkey hunting and driving two hours both ways to hunt if it walks in front of me its going home with me, now deer hunting no but I don't care about the rack all that much just enjoy a harder hunt but I have been deer hunting for 20 plus years and took my fair share of smaller deer.   

guesswho

Jakes get a free pass, but if one really pizzed me off in some way I hate it for him!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tra_cline

I like to hold off unless I just for some reason the feeling says hey this is meant to be....then pow!
Always been funny to me though how lots of people let a jake walk and got out in the fall and shoot a 1.5 yr old buck...... To each his own,

I hate turkeys

I have seen jakes act like two year old's later in the season. Where I hunt we don't shoot jakes but I have on other properties.
If they act like the man then I have no problem.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

OLE RASPY

On my land no

On somebody elses land yes giving the oppurtunity last of season

Havent killed a jake in 10 years.

Shotgun

HARDCORE

No, but things happen sometimes for some reason or another, and if I did....I probably wouldn't tell anybody.  :-X

HC

HogBiologist

As my Uncle says, "Never pass up what the Turkey Gods give you".  I have no problem passing on a jake if it is necessary to help the population, Like in Arkansas.  Here in LA where it does not matter, Live by the gobble, Die by the gobble!
Certified Wildlife Biologist