Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Danner Snake Boots - Which would you buy?

Started by Gamblinman, January 26, 2015, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Danner Snake Boots, which one is better?

Danner Jackal
1 (12.5%)
Danner Pronghorn
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 31, 2015, 07:20:57 PM

Gamblinman

Fixing to order some new Danner snake boots. Which would you purchase?
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

J Lacey

Sold my Pronghorns on Ebay for $55. Squeak squeak squeak   
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

RutnNStrutn

I tried Danners last year for the first time. They leaked on my first hunt. I returned them. Rocky's leaked too. I keep going back to Redhead brand by Bass Pro. Affordable, durable, comfortable.

Cut N Run

I tried some Rocky's that leaked when walking through wet grass the first day out. I upgraded to Pronghorns that have about 75 miles on 'em. No leaks or squeaks yet.  I haven't tried any other brands because I wore leggings before that.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

SKFOOTER

Definitely the Pronghorns.  But don't overlook the Irish Setter Vaprtreks.  Midway USA has limited sizes on sale now.

memert116

I bought the Pronghorns for Texas last year and were awesome.  Very, very comfortable, not too hot and did a good job fending off the cactus thorns.  Will be wearing them in Al, Fl and Tx this year.   I can't tell you about leaks but talked to two hard core hunters/guides that wear them everywhere including Fl and Ms........said they have not had an issue with leakage.

neal

Ugh I've had my share of problems with both squeak and leak. Ended up just spending the money and went the custom route with Russells. Best investment I've made in footwear.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

uarobert

Been loving my Pronghorns. No leak problems, but I don't go wading. They have gotten me through unavoidable puddles, creek crossings and some rain without any trouble, though.

K9Doc

I gave up on snake boots after about the fourth brand!
They all leak or rub blisters or both. Get a 2 pair of
Danner Grouse. They are made for walking. I have 3 pair
Look on eBay and u will find em. Often used but in very good
Condition. Wet feet am?  No problem. Second pair in truck!
For snakes I use Turtleskin leggings.
This combo is by far the best I have owned.
If u just hate wet feet, buy Lacrosse Grange
For rainy days.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

WVhuntEER

BBR12

I would not buy Danner snake boots. I tried several different brands cabela's, redhead, Danner, and Muck. The redhead's and the Cabelas were the most comfortable in that order. The Danners leaked on the first hunt and squeaked. All except for the Mucks leaked within the first turkey season. I have a narrow foot so the Muck's did not fit well enough for as much walking as I do so I can't really say how they hold up.

Now for my recomendation: A good pair of all leather boots and a pair of snake leggings. I really like the turtle skins. I have been wearing a pair of Irish setter elk hunter boots and a pair of turtle skins for probably eight or nine yrs now. The boots are still waterproof and I have done nothing to them as far as maintenance. I wear these boots year round turkey hunting, deer hunting, and just working around the house. I would be surprised if I had walked less than 750 miles in these boots and they still going strong. One of my favorite features of going this route is when you come out of the woods just unzipp the leggings and you have on a normal pair of boots for going in a store, working in the yard or whatever the situation is. This combo is very light weight and is cooler than the snake boots that I tried.

bamagtrdude

I'd say - get the Lacrosse Snake Boot; I've tried 'em all, and if they don't leak in the 1st season, they'll eventually leak.  A rubber boot style is just about the only way to defeat that, in my experience.  Sucks 'cause ...  I *really* like the Irish Setters I got years ago; I use them on days when I'm woods hunting & not likely to go through streams/water at all...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Yoder409

If it says Danner on it I ain't buying it.

Their return policy SUCKS !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on January 26, 2015, 08:34:14 PM
I tried Danners last year for the first time. They leaked on my first hunt. I returned them. Rocky's leaked too. I keep going back to Redhead brand by Bass Pro. Affordable, durable, comfortable.

That's my experience.  They did lose waterproof after a couple of years but I'm still wearing them occasionally after 8 or nine years.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!