OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a new turkey hunting gun

Started by TylerTaylor25, January 24, 2015, 02:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

If you want a smooth pump check out Ithaca. Never had a bad pattern with any of mine, and the pump is so smooooooth.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Beretta a300 Outlander would be my choice for an auto in your price range or an 870 supermag in bottomland.

Big Treble

Quote from: donjuan on January 24, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
The benelli super novas are great and durable, but I would say their forearm rattle and weight bother some people.
For $367, I picked up an 870 camo supermag at WalMart in December and I love that thing.  Already whacked some ducks and geese and can't wait for turkey season.  I haven't had any ejection issues so long as it isn't short shucked.

As a newbie, I'll be just using my 870, but was looking at the super nova, and thought the same thing about the rattle.  I was amazed their engineering department would let this pass.  Looks like an awesome weapon besides that issue, but I couldn't overlook the rattle.

rusty4269

Quote from: donjuan on January 24, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
The benelli super novas are great and durable, but I would say their forearm rattle and weight bother some people.

Last night I tightened the two small hexscrews on either side of the forearm of my super nova and the rattle is gone. Or at least a lot better. But to be honest, I really never noticed it until I read other people's posts about it.

Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11

mudhen

BPS....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Bowguy

I'm new to this site but not to guns or the woods. Been chasing turks since the late 80s.  Anyway just mentioned that to sort of qualify what I'm going to say. Normally whoever you ask this type question to will give you decent advice about what they're famaliar with. My vote goes absolutely w a 835, for good reasons.
I'm not normally even close to being a Mossberg fan, but that gun has several things going for it I didn't see mentioned and worth considering. If I'm rehashing something you know forgive me.
The gun's barrel has the forcing cones open, this is the restriction area where the crimp opens, also it is nearly a 10 ga barrel.
The other guns mentioned are good guns no doubt but stuffing a bunch of shot into a normal gun can sometimes lead to damaging the shot n actually hurt the pattern.
Obviously each gun must be tested(patterened), and you can, I'm sure, with most guns, find suitable shells for it.
The 835 is also light and short.

omegafoo

If it was a second turkey gun, or in my case would be a third, I would look at a 20 ga gun. Pump, 870 or 500 (if the fore end doesn't rattle like the old 500s). Auto, probably a stoger m3020. If it was unrestricted budget, I'm getting a Benellli m2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk