OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How far do you shoot?

Started by donjuan, January 22, 2015, 09:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

Quote from: ShortSpurs on January 23, 2015, 11:23:38 AM
I like 'em about 20 yds or so. Although, in the last few min. of the last hour, of the last day of the season, I'll try any shot, even at 100 yds.

Ya never know what a shot like that will get you.

I'm assuming this is not a joke, so take this as friendly advice.  If you like OG and want to stay active, don't post things like this.  Shannon (Old Gobbler, if you don't know) has no problem banning people for things like this.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ShortSpurs

JB and others,

sorry for miss-worded OP, as sometimes words don't come out right, no matter how hard we try.

Original post has been edited,

TURKEYWHACKER

How far do I shoot? Why all the way to the turkey of course. ;D  Seriously though, I prefer 20-30 yards.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Depends on the gun I'm carrying and where it drops below 100 pellets in a 10" circle.

PALongspur

I'd say my average over the years would be about 30 yards, and I definitely don't like them closer than 20!

The last three seasons I've killed birds inside 12 yards, one at about 8! It gets dicey when they are that close!

wscrst

20-30 yards.  My Mossberg patterns very well at 30.

owlhoot

The last three seasons I've killed birds inside 12 yards, one at about 8! It gets dicey when they are that close!
[/quote] :morning:Yes, but the adrenalin level sure is fun when they are that close :icon_thumright: :gobble: :gobble: :gobble:at 8 steps , man i cant wait!!

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 25, 2015, 07:08:38 AM
Depends on the gun I'm carrying and where it drops below 100 pellets in a 10" circle.

This.

surehuntsalot

average 20-30 yds
40-45 is my personal limit
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Izzyjoe

To be honest I've never shot one, or even at one in my life! I hoping to change that this year, but I would feel real comfortable around 25-30. Any closer and I use an improved cly. and 7 1/2 birdshot. If they all come in as close as 15yds, there be no need for turkey shot, or any such chokes!

Gooserbat

I'm really surprised Shannon hasn't chimed in yet with a reminder.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey buster

:funnyturkey:
Quote from: Gooserbat on January 25, 2015, 10:58:47 PM

Agreed gooser. I know people make mistakes on judging yardage sometime but I've read a lot of swinging for the fences posts on here. Its not just here though, I know people with these new bows talking of shots at deer 60yrds and some further. A lot of animals are being crippled and it's one thing to do it by pure accident thinking the animal was closer than he was, and it's another to be sending haymakers out there and wounding one even if you've already killed 3 others doing it.

turkey buster

I wanna add that a novice and newbie might read of a "super kill" on here and think his unproven gun (poa/poi) is deadly at 60 with Longbeards or 75 with Magnum Blends just because the box says so.

vaturkey

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 25, 2015, 10:58:47 PM

Lordy Lordy Don't shoot over 40 !  :TooFunny:

But wonder why SOME people hunt with a 10 Ga ?  ::)
Vaturkey

TauntoHawk

Quote from: turkey buster on January 26, 2015, 06:40:36 AM
I wanna add that a novice and newbie might read of a "super kill" on here and think his unproven gun (poa/poi) is deadly at 60 with Longbeards or 75 with Magnum Blends just because the box says so.

people that are willing to fling unproven shots, whether its a shotgun, bow, or rifle are going to do it because they dont care not because of adds. we all now the guys that that tell the stories "he wouldn't get closer so I let one lose and just hoped to hit something important"... never heard of anyoen that said "I always try and be ethical and safe in the woods but the box told me I could".

That said there is no set distance that can be set as a rule of thumb for everyone that encompasses all equipment available..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>