OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How far do you shoot?

Started by donjuan, January 22, 2015, 09:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twowithone

Average shot is 20-30 yds. I like calling them in closer and watch the show. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

owlhoot

turkey harvester

Normally I like to see their eyes before I pull the trigger. Different circumstances call for different shots. Normally dont try for 40 yards but I know the ole mossy will deliver there and more.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

mgm1955

Snoodsniper

Usually 90- 100 yds. If the wind is at my back I'll go to 120. But hey you need to know your limits.

Seriously this conversation has been done to death.....

RutnNStrutn

80% of my kills have been at 20 yards or less.
The rest of my kills have been between 30-40 yards.
I have a couple of kills that were around 54 yards, but neither of them was intentional.
For me, the game is getting them up close and personal.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Snoodsniper on January 22, 2015, 08:38:32 PM
Usually 90- 100 yds. If the wind is at my back I'll go to 120. But hey you need to know your limits.
:lol: ;D :TooFunny:

zelmo1

:fud:25-30 yards. Longest shot was 52 yards. This was a miscalculation on my part, I never want to shoot that far. I will carry a range finder from now on and keep it to 40. The bird's head hit the ground before the body. It was the most devastating kill I have had, only 15 birds to my name. Even knowing this, I won't try it again. I shoot 3.5" longbeard #5's and love them but could never forgive myself if I lost even 1 bird. I am teaching my soon to be 8 year old the ethics of turkey hunting and want to lead by example. This means get them as close as possible and ensure clean kills. Good luck to all and let your conscience be your guide. Al Baker

jblackburn

I've killed them from 6 yards to over 50, but 25-30 is my average.  If I remember right, last year 28 yards was about my average shot.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

yelpaholic

I'll let em get as close as they want to...but if they hang up I got something for that to...I don't like to see em walk off....   Bash away. :OGturkeyhead:

jwhunter

as close as i can get them. average shot probably 20 yards. the whole point of turkey hunting is the bird closing the distance from 60 yards into your lap. if you are taking 50-60 yard shots you aint doing it right

ShortSpurs

I like 'em about 20 yds or so. Although, in the last few min. of the last hour, of the last day of the season, I'll try a shot, even at longer yds.

Ya never know what a shot like that will get you.

I need to edit this; I miss-spoken at originally posted yds. Sorry,

jwhunter

Quote from: ShortSpurs on January 23, 2015, 11:23:38 AM
I like 'em about 20 yds or so. Although, in the last few min. of the last hour, of the last day of the season, I'll try any shot, even at 100 yds.

a shot like that will turn the bird into predator food

ceejay

Quote from: ShortSpurs on January 23, 2015, 11:23:38 AM
I like 'em about 20 yds or so. Although, in the last few min. of the last hour, of the last day of the season, I'll try any shot, even at 100 yds.

I hope you're just stirring the pot and not being serious.  Although it does seem sincere.  If so, then thumbs down.

ShortSpurs

My confident killing range of my 3 1/2" 12 ga. is around 40 yards maximum, with most shots never over 35 yds since I hunt pretty brushy country. Did not wish to ruffle anyone's feathers with OP comments, sorry.