turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How far do you shoot?

Started by donjuan, January 22, 2015, 09:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

With all the ads of 40, 60, and 75 yard kills and effective range, I'm just curious how long you would say your average kill is?  I would estimate mine to be 30 yards.  I was just wondering this as I was struggling to find a combo for my wifes 20 ga that gives a useful pattern at close range and at 40.  It didn't seem worth it to shoot a slug at 20 yards to get a 40 yard pattern if we don't shoot that far.  Just getting cabin fever thinking about the season!
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

sbraham

12-15 yards. I use the longbeards 3" #5 but still like to be able to see them blink

hookedspur

My average shot is probably about 20.
I have a 20 Encore that shoots Nitro Co. and H13 straight 7s with a sumToy 562-5 tube real well , and its not overly tight at 20yards
  :fud: :newmascot:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tail Feathers

I'm well prepared for a 40 yard turkey war...give or take a few yards for range mis-estimation.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stinkpickle

I'm gonna guess most are in the 30-35 yard range.

willy8457

alclark2

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

tomstopper

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

jakesdad

Have shot exactly one bird pushing 40 yds. Everything else has been 25 or less

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

bamagtrdude

Within 30.  Longest shot ever - 52 yards.  I personally never want to repeat that.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Gobble!

silvestris

20 yards.  I am ashamed at Winchester for touting the purported 60 yard performance of the Longbeard XR.  A pellet fired at a particular muzzle velocity only retains so much energy at a specific distance.  Turkey hunting should be an up close and personal endeavor.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

donjuan

For the record, I am not condoning long range shots like we see in some of the ads.  I just wanted to see who else likes them in tight.  I wish I could say I killed them all at 15 steps, but 30 is probably my honest average because we hunt alot of open fields here in KS
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Cut N Run

As close as I can get 'em.  The longest shot I ever took was around 40 and I lost him. (shooting Win 1&3/4 copper plated #6s).  I'm real reluctant to try long shots again, even though since switching to Hevi 6s or 7s, that won't be a problem. I mainly hunt tight cover where there's not a lot of opportunity for long shots anyway.  I have killed way more inside of 25 yards than beyond that.  The closest was 6 yards.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.