OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stuck barrel.

Started by TJR, January 21, 2015, 07:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJR

Hey guys. I was given a remington 1100 from the 60's that belonged to my great grandfather. I don't believe that it has ever been cleaned because it is filthy! In the process of taking it down to clean I found the barrel is stuck and won't budge. I have trying wd-40 where the barrel and receiver mate but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

Pull the trigger group and soak the heck out of it inside and out with the WD. Let it sit a day or two then try again.

West Augusta

I'd take the butt stock and fore stock off first so you don't soak them with oil.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

allaboutshooting

QuoteI'd take the butt stock and fore stock off first so you don't soak them with oil.

Good advice already. Is it just dirty or can you also see rust? Those are fine old guns but it may well have some rust that is binding the barrel to the receiver. The WD 40 will probably work, if not Kroil might help. I'd put it muzzle down in the warmest spot you have and be patient.

You may also want to call John Mann @ Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1945) @ 618.357.2911, ask for John or Dustin, tell them what's happening and they can probably give you good advice on how to solve the problem. Patience is normally the key however.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SCGobbler

Break-Free may work as well.  I always for get about Kroil, so good call on that one!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

silvestris

Balistol might work and it was designed not to harm the wood.  YouTube "hicock45 Ballistol" and watch a couple of his YouTubes before you use it.  I have been using it on all of my guns as a CLP and love it.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TJR

Thanks guys. I believe the gun is just dirty. I don't see any visible rust. It has been soaking in WD for 24 hours and I'm going to let it go another 24 and try again.

anthonyjhallen

Snoodsniper

I would've suggested Kroil but not everybody has it laying around. I have to order it as no one carries it in my area.  Kerosene works great for loosening stubborn parts and that's basically what WD 40 is. Since you already have it mightswell give it some time to work. It'll probably do the job. Basically the years of oil and grime turn into sticky gunk and that's likely what's holding you up. Pulling the wood off is definitely a good idea.

Izzyjoe

You can also use a propane torch, but have to take it easy and don't apply to much heat, just warm the top of the receiver where the barrel goes in. That will loses up the crud, and keep spraying WD, or PB Blaster on it while you heat it. The heat will draw the oil in there, a heatgun or a hair dryer will work also, but if you use the torch just take it easy and keep the flame moving around on the metal and don't get it to hot.  Another thing the barrel may have crud built up were it goes around the mag tube!

allaboutshooting

Remember that many products that will cut through rust and gunk are also flamable, some very flamable.

Use of open flames around most of these is discouraged. Please read the cautions on containers and be very careful.

Patience is a key in a project like this.

Thanks,
Clark

bmhern

If the WD-40 doesn't work, I would try kroll. I have used it a lot on froze up bolts,  with very good results.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: TJR on January 21, 2015, 10:53:58 AM
Thanks guys. I believe the gun is just dirty. I don't see any visible rust. It has been soaking in WD for 24 hours and I'm going to let it go another 24 and try again.

Did you get this yet??  I'd be shocked if PB Blaster doesn't work.

TJR

Still soaking in WD. I'm going to give it another shot this evening and if it won't break loose I'm going to give another product a try. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the tips.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TJR on January 22, 2015, 06:10:59 PM
Still soaking in WD. I'm going to give it another shot this evening and if it won't break loose I'm going to give another product a try. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the tips.

If you have a couple of those rubber circles that are used to help loosen jar lids or something like like, that rubber shelf liner works well, it will allow you get a grip on the barrel and on the receiver. A little manipulation and then more soaking may be necessary. Patience in a real key.

Thanks,
Clark