turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Steady Grip Worth It?

Started by JuniorPre 360, January 19, 2015, 11:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

I'm looking into ordering a steady grip for my Stoeger M3500. It's the one with a pistol grip. I was wondering if this had great benefits such as helping me not jerk the gun to the right when I shoot or anything else. What's everyone's opinion on having a vertical grip?

budtripp

I never liked vertical grips on a shotgun personally.  My cousin has an 835 with a pistol grip and it feels ok but not really enough for me to want one on my own guns. Plus if you intended to do any wingshooting with your gun they're about useless for that. My guns do alot of double duty, especially my sbe 2 as it's my waterfowl gun. For just turkey hunting though I know a lot of people like them so it's definitely a personal thing.  Just not my cup of tea.

Gobble!

Agreed it's personal preference. I use my 870 for turkey hunting only and would never use a gun without a pistol grap. I feel it is move comfortable and easier to hold still when that gobblers working in. Have a buddy with a M3500 who 95% of the time uses it to duck/goose hunt and he prefers the pistol grip over his original stock. 

Tbrady835

Easier one handed control for last minute adjustments when a bird comes in, easier to hold with one hand for long periods of time and can call easier with other hand, takes some of the recoil out of those 3.5 bc the way your wrist braces the vertical grip my turkey gun is just that a turkey only gun and I would have nothing else but a pistol grip

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 19, 2015, 02:27:59 PM
Easier one handed control for last minute adjustments when a bird comes in, easier to hold with one hand for long periods of time and can call easier with other hand, takes some of the recoil out of those 3.5 bc the way your wrist braces the vertical grip my turkey gun is just that a turkey only gun and I would have nothing else but a pistol grip

Does it give you more stability as far as not jerking the trigger to the right or left when making a shot?

reynolds243

To me it is the best thing out since the invention of a turkey call. I personally love it and wouldn't be out there without it if I could help it

Proverbs 3:5

Sent from my phone using Technology

JuniorPre 360

I'm leaning towards ordering it then. The only experience I have with a pistol grip on a rifle is with my AK47. I'm not sure if I would be able to compare it with my M3500.

Tbrady835

Don't think it will help with jerking trigger that's just a bad shooting habit, spend some time with a .22 and get your trigger squeeze down pat then shoot some out of your shotty it will help

Snoodsniper

I think you will like the pistol grip. As far as jerking your gun when pulling the trigger it's probably partly you and partly your trigger. I believe your stoeger is probably around 8 lbs of pull. A better pull would be around 3-4 lbs. The only way to get that would be a trigger job. 

drum817

I switched to a vertical pistol grip last year when I got a Weatherby pa-459.... Personally I really love it!!!  It did take a little shooting to get use to it, but for turkey hunting I don't see myself going back.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

dirt road ninja

I'm a fan of them. Two reasons - 1. my wrist can hold up the gun longer while waiting. 2. They look good in pictures.

BRUKSHOT

Pistol Grips are nice with only one drawback I can think of...how do you fit the gun into a gun case with it attached??? :funnyturkey:

Gobble!

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 19, 2015, 07:32:02 PM
Pistol Grips are nice with only one drawback I can think of...how do you fit the gun into a gun case with it attached??? :funnyturkey:

I have 2 gun cases and it fits fine in each of them. Neither were purchased for the purpose of a pistol grip

Gobble!

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 19, 2015, 04:35:56 PM
Don't think it will help with jerking trigger that's just a bad shooting habit, spend some time with a .22 and get your trigger squeeze down pat then shoot some out of your shotty it will help
Maybe I'll buy some cheap dove load and practice. .22 is still impossible to find. I'm liking this idea.