Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

General Discussion

Started by nickhrp, January 19, 2015, 12:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Well that's kind of dumb!! A double beard turkey is a double reward. That's talking  from the bird to me.

Illini Tom

well, now i am confused
i didnt read the OG rules where it says longest beard; i just assumed the contest scoring followed the NWTF scoring formula that includes TOTAL length of multi-beard and multi-spur toms
not trying to stir up a controversy, but many birds in the contest last year were scored using total beard length, including a couple over 100 and gooserbat's that was 80+
thats how you get the eye-popping scores is from multiple beards and the occasional tom with more than 2 spurs
even the scoring calculator reads BEARD(S) where you put in beard length
maybe thats a new rule for THIS year  ???

nickhrp

Guess we just gonna have to target the fat birds that's not fair by no means
God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

Illini Tom

dont wanna p off og, but that rule is ridiculous
its like having a big buck contest limited to 8 points. you shoot a 16 pointer but only count the first 8 points
multi beard toms are trophies and should be recognized as such and credited to the hunters fortunate to kill one
oh well, its their contest and if ya wanna play, you gotta play by the rules

ericjames

I saw a entry on another team that counted the other beards. So I guess no one else saw it in the rules either.

ericjames

On a good note I just let this one ride in the back of the truck this morning.

I'll take pix of the beard and Spurs after I get him cleaned.

Illini Tom

dang, eric, you're havin one heck of a season  :gobble: :gobble: :gobble:  :icon_thumright:

ericjames

Yeah just to think our peak ain't even here yet. Most of the time I kill 1 or 2 in March. But our birds really get on fire around the end of the first week of April until the end of season witch is the last day of April. We get 5 birds in AL and 3 in MS. So I still have 5 birds to go.

nickhrp

Look at last year if that rule would have been in effect we would have won or finished 2nd
God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

That's true. That means we stand a better chance this year. I've always wanted to get a double beard or a triple would be better. But this was my first. So either way he's going to the taxidermist

turkey buster

Opening day in the morning!! Went and roosted the same 4 this evening I heard scouting Monday morning!! Only issue is I heard hens yelp prior to fly up this evening

nickhrp

Dang bunch of serial killers on this team way to go guys already 5 birds taken by 3 guys
God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

You ain't seen nothing yet. LMBO. I know I use to be rough on turkeys. I am a little easier on them now days.

Gooserbat

Well I just want a big fat MO Longbeard with a 12" beard.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.