turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Double X review?

Started by Model 1300, January 18, 2015, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model 1300

I'm planing on switching to winchester Long beard XR's but they're a little pricey for me. I was wondering how the Double X's are they are $10 cheaper then the LB's but if you guys don't think they are as good I will pay for the LB's
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

Cove

Lets make sure we cut corners on the single, solitary thing that puts the turkey in your hands.  :z-twocents: ??? :z-dizzy:

drum817

In my opinion longbeards are very affordable.... Especially compared to HTL.   ???
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

silvestris

I am getting great patterns from the Longbeards.  I wish they would stop touting them as 60 yard shells.  If he doesn't come within 35 yards, he hasn't been earned in my humble opinion.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

surehuntsalot

Quote from: silvestris on January 18, 2015, 08:58:30 PM
I am getting great patterns from the Longbeards.  I wish they would stop touting them as 60 yard shells.  If he doesn't come within 35 yards, he hasn't been earned in my humble opinion.

us "old school guys" are dying out it seems, the 40 yd. range is now the 55-60 yd. range and some shoot even further than that
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spring Creek Calls

If money is not an issue, then I'd go for the Longbeards. I killed a bunch of birds with 2-3/4" XX 6's in my old Model 12, but I knew my limitations and lived within them. No matter which you choose, make sure you know your limits.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gooserbat

I killed a pile of birds with win Hv #6, but I won't be buying anymore as long as I can get longbeards.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Model 1300

Money is not a issue. Most of my shots will be from 30 - 55 yards so I will probably go with the long beards. Would you guys recommend #6's or #5's?
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

Gooserbat

I recommend shots that are far less than 55 yards, but as far as shot size the one that patterns best is the pick.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: drum817 on January 18, 2015, 08:30:07 PM
In my opinion longbeards are very affordable.... Especially compared to HTL.   ???

Agreed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 19, 2015, 12:34:46 AM
I recommend shots that are far less than 55 yards, but as far as shot size the one that patterns best is the pick.
^^^THIS.... Please keep in mind that when you pattern your gun, shooting at paper at 55 yards is a lot different than shooting at a head (bone, muscle, & skin). I don't know if your set on just Longbeards but another shell that I tried last year and got awesome results with (both on paper and in the woods) are the Turkey Thug ammo made by Federal... Not as expensive and worked great. Good luck on your search.

jakesdad

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 18, 2015, 09:33:07 PM
Quote from: silvestris on January 18, 2015, 08:58:30 PM

us "old school guys" are dying out it seems, the 40 yd. range is now the 55-60 yd. range and some shoot even further than that

X2                 I didnt think at 43 I was old enough to be "old school",but I find myself following those ways more often than not.

My opinion:Dont get caught up in the hype.The Longbeards are very good shells,but look at your situation and not everybody elses before you decide. If you are hunting timber 99% of the time,the XX or any quality lead shell that patterns well will do fine. If you hunt a lot of fields or split your time between woods and field where a 35-40 yard shot is very possible,look into the Longbeards,they are the real deal.

I tried Longbeards and they patterned very well,but too tight for me(hunting in timber most if not all the time).If I was to hunt on big fields or out west in more open terrain,i'd definetely be using the Longbeards.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

VA_Birdhunter

I also recommend shooting some off your knee etc. just how you will do it in the woods.   Its good to get a good rest on a lead sled or shooting bench/table when pattering but don't over look practicing how you will do it in the woods.  I know some probably think that is crazy but its the same as a law enforcement office practicing with his service weapon....you will react in a situation how you have trained/practiced.  I always shoot several rounds off my knee or shooting stick leaned back against a tree or in my gobbler lounger every year before season starts.....and I don't always shoot the same shell I will be using in season I will add some of the cheaper rounds I have just for the practice.  Things can line up different, your body is sitting in a different way then at a table shooting.  Call me crazy but I think its overlooked a lot. 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Cove

And also remember when picking the shell for your specific situation; A good shell (HTL) will kill them close and far (far meaning 40-50 yards) while a lesser shell will kill close but questionable at far. Why not play it safe? Especially if money isn't an issue. Buy cheaper socks, discount camo, pack your lunch, whatever . . . save a few $$ and spend that on what could be the most important factor in your success.

davisd9

Quote from: Cove on January 19, 2015, 11:19:06 AM
And also remember when picking the shell for your specific situation; A good shell (HTL) will kill them close and far (far meaning 40-50 yards) while a lesser shell will kill close but questionable at far. Why not play it safe? Especially if money isn't an issue. Buy cheaper socks, discount camo, pack your lunch, whatever . . . save a few $$ and spend that on what could be the most important factor in your success.

Best I have seen it stated!   :icon_thumright:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer