only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trapping Predators

Started by Ridge, January 18, 2015, 07:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigspurs68

Momma said "Kill that turkey"

K9Doc

I'm not a trapping hater. I'm no fan of PETA Either.
However posting pics of your trapped animals is a great way to provoke the tree huggers.
I am a veterinarian and I can tell you that more than a few clients won't come to see me when they learn I am also a hunter.
These people don't see a "Dirty Rotten Yote". They see what looks like a poor defenseless German Shepherd Puppy that we are torturing for fun.

Just saying. Think about it guys.
By the way, thanks for helping keep the population in check.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

born2hunt

Well I did a little digging and see that using leg traps is prohibited in Florida.  That could be a slight conflict with giving this a try. I don't agree a lot on regulations when it comes to yotes but I can't get my own foot caught in the process,  oh well, I  guess I'll just stick to shooting them.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

anthonyjhallen

I dont have any traps out but I have been burning the batteries up in the foxpro!!!

coyotetrpr

Quote from: K9Doc on January 22, 2015, 11:48:26 PM
I'm not a trapping hater. I'm no fan of PETA Either.
However posting pics of your trapped animals is a great way to provoke the tree huggers.
I am a veterinarian and I can tell you that more than a few clients won't come to see me when they learn I am also a hunter.
These people don't see a "Dirty Rotten Yote". They see what looks like a poor defenseless German Shepherd Puppy that we are torturing for fun.

Just saying. Think about it guys.
By the way, thanks for helping keep the population in check.  :z-guntootsmiley:
I understand what you are saying but feel compelled to point out that these pictures of coyotes that appear to be in no distress should help deter the myth that trapping is inhumane..
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

HogBiologist

Certified Wildlife Biologist

Oconeeguy

I have spoken with a guy involved with collecting turkey information for the Georgia DNR. He said that aside from habitat loss, the greatest killers of turkeys are coons, skunks and possums. I guess they prey on eggs and chicks.

Personally, i am concerned with coyotes because I have called two up while turkey hunting, one came straight in to about 15 yds before I made my presence known. Therefore, I know they target turkeys.

Because of the areas they tend to hunt rabbits & mice, (edges of fields and brushy areas where hens nest), I'll bet foxes do their part too.

Bigspurs68

Quote from: Oconeeguy on January 28, 2015, 07:36:44 PM
I have spoken with a guy involved with collecting turkey information for the Georgia DNR. He said that aside from habitat loss, the greatest killers of turkeys are coons, skunks and possums. I guess they prey on eggs and chicks.

Personally, i am concerned with coyotes because I have called two up while turkey hunting, one came straight in to about 15 yds before I made my presence known. Therefore, I know they target turkeys.

Because of the areas they tend to hunt rabbits & mice, (edges of fields and brushy areas where hens nest), I'll bet foxes do their part too.

As far as a predator that I personally believe can impact adult turkeys, a bobcat is the critter That I know has the ability to catch and kill a turkey of any size. Cats are patient, they can be almost invisible and can snag a bird with a good swipe. Coyotes just have their teeth. Cats are sharp all over! In Ohio we have no season for bobcats and I release a few each year from coyote traps. They all slink away just fine and hopefully soon we will at least have a limited season. Everyone knows what a wild house cat can do. Imagine one that is camouflaged, 30 lbs and hunts to survive.

Momma said "Kill that turkey"