turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vision

Started by Big Treble, January 17, 2015, 07:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Treble

Ok, so I've hunted deer, coyote, bear and raccoon, where I'm consistently entering in and/or out of the woods in the dark.   Many of you know just how dark it could be in the woods with no moon, and I just hate tripping because as I get older it hurts more. LOL

As a first time turkey hunter, I'd like to know more about their vision.  I have hear they have poor vision in the dark, and would not be able to make you out.  Since I have many ag fields in my area, walking in in the predawn hours I would only be cloaked by darkness.

So my question is will colored lights, such as red or green be seen by turkey's?  I'm concerned about getting busted entering and getting set up.

rusty4269

Last spring I went in well before daylight. I heard shock gobble on a ridge near an alfalfa field so I set up pretty high up. When the sun started to come up turkeys were gobbling all around me including one about 20 yds in front of me. I was sure I was gonna have deep fried turkey nuggets that evening. instead he flew down and sailed way across the alfalfa field out of site. He had to see me come in in the dark. The others flew down and got hung up on hens and I never seen one the rest of the day. But I believe they can definitely see you in the dark.

Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11

dirt road ninja

I operate under the assumption that if I can see it they can see it.

Big Treble

Ok, not quite what I was hoping for, LOL, man a guy can't catch a break.

What about distance?  Some critters are near sited like coyote, because it they lends to their ability to focus while having their snout in weeds.  I understand many birds have excellent vision at long distances. 

Again trying to be prepared for entry routes.

ol bob

A turkey can see you blink at 50 yards.

chatterbox

Their eyesight and vision are legendary. Now, I have heard that they see much like we do in color unlike nocturnal animals which see in black and white. For example, I used a green light during deer season one fall. I heard a bunch of them in the trees, and looked up.
What happened next could only be referred to as a Religious experience.
The trees exploded with panicked cackling and squawking! Once day broke in a couple hours, they all flew and sailed two fields over behind us. They wanted no part of where that green light came from! 
A lot of what has been said is true. Quick, sudden movements are what get hunters in trouble. Move only when they cannot see you move, and make everything fluid.
What I like to do is get into the woods pre-dawn, and I try never to use a light during spring turkey. Once I can see a little, that is when I formulate my game plan. If I am lucky, the toms will gobble at first light, and I can begin the chess match.
Point is, woodsman ship is woodsman ship, and if you start preparing for the hunt as soon as you step foot out of the truck, no matter the hour, your success rate will climb.

silvestris

Them rascals can see, but much like you looking down from a tree stand, their vision is limited at first light.  However, if they perceive anything that might be a Saldu, they are out of there.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

paboxcall

Quote from: chatterbox on January 17, 2015, 10:09:58 AM
What I like to do is get into the woods pre-dawn, and I try never to use a light during spring turkey. Once I can see a little, that is when I formulate my game plan. If I am lucky, the toms will gobble at first light, and I can begin the chess match.
Point is, woodsman ship is woodsman ship, and if you start preparing for the hunt as soon as you step foot out of the truck, no matter the hour, your success rate will climb.

:agreed:  Good advice.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gooserbat

Their eyes are unto them as a whitetail's nose is to a deer.  If you think they can see you they will.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BigMick

Just to add to this NEVER underestimate their hearing!  I believe that they can hear almost as good as they can see. 

Just my .02

tomstopper

Quote from: paboxcall on January 17, 2015, 10:28:59 AM
Quote from: chatterbox on January 17, 2015, 10:09:58 AM

:agreed:  Good advice.
This is exactly how I operate. I get my gear on at my truck and let my eyes adjust and then sneak in. I don't worry as much about their vision when it's dark as much as I do being as silent as possible....

Tail Feathers

Wasn't it Tom Kelly who said something like  "Some people say turkeys can see around trees.  That is not true.  It IS true, however, that turkeys can see through trees."
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hunter62

when I move in on a roosted bird I always keep in mind how high they are the view from up there is much better then on the ground .picture what there view is from the branch .I think if you can see them they sure can see you .

paboxcall

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 17, 2015, 11:41:10 AM
Wasn't it Tom Kelly who said something like  "Some people say turkeys can see around trees.  That is not true.  It IS true, however, that turkeys can see through trees."

Perhaps, but I do know Jim Spencer once wrote this about turkeys and rocks:

"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks.  Only Superman can do that.  Instead turkeys see around them."
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Muzzy61

Quote from: ol bob on January 17, 2015, 09:32:47 AM
A turkey can see you blink at 50 yards.
.             I swear this is true.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr