OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Vision

Started by Big Treble, January 17, 2015, 07:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigspurs68

Turkeys can see you think.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

mgm1955

Move slow, be quiet, get set up, in the dark. Hope for the best after that.

Big Treble

Awesome info guys. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

I knew how great their day vision was, and was reading on the NWTF site that they had "poor night vision". 

I love the pre dawn hours and am a early riser, so I'm pretty apt to get in and get settled 1-1.5 hrs before legal shooting light(that was my schedule deer hunting anyways). I have been busted so bad stepping on twigs and sticks, and have relied on either red or green lights in the past to be a little quieter.

In my neck of the woods, I've learned by hunting other species, it seems they roost more in tree lines (edge of timber)next to fields and fly down into the open fields.(again not turkey hunting experience, just observations).  So my concern was more about walking along tree lines and stepping on sticks or getting busted crossing a field 100-150 yards from the roost.  If I did get busted I assume they would fly down the opposite direction they normally would, and not be responsive to my calling.

A light would help me eliminate some noise, but not willing to risk the trade off if they could see red or green light.

Thanks again for all the input and help.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions  :gobble:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Muzzy61 on January 17, 2015, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: ol bob on January 17, 2015, 09:32:47 AM
A turkey can see you blink at 50 yards.
.             I swear this is true.
I know it's true! I don't think their eyesight in the dark is any better than ours but once daylight hits LOOKOUT! My signature line just about says it all about their eyesight.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

VA_Birdhunter

I have to use a light getting in to my spots especially in VA...without one your asking for you eye to be put out for sure.   Always make sure your there plenty early before light starts to break so your walking in in complete darkness or at least the only light is from the moon and stars.

Also as my dad thought me from start go never shine your light up in the trees always keep it pointed at the ground....I still do this to this day.   I use a head lamp now and always keep it pointed down.

I think turkeys react to noise in the dark more then to anything there seeing.   You come in sounding unnatural they know something's up.  Try to walk as quiet as you can! Watch where your stepping....step over downed limbs etc and take your time....the plus to being early!  Don't ever underestimate a turkeys hearing!!

I've been walking in with a light for 24 yrs and have never been busted....and that could change this yr.  of course.   If I get to my parking spot later then what I want and light has started to break and I can see enough to make it I'll make the trek without the light.  If I also know a roost sight or have roosted a bird the night before I will get within 75-100 yards and go on in without a light.  For this to work well for me I have to be in there very early so I can take my time and feel my way to my spot so I don't hurt myself or make excess noise.   I think if your early well before daylight you will be fine using a light. 

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Snoodsniper

I use a very dim green light(single LED). I use it only when absolutely necessary and sparingly. The green is for my benefit and has nothing to do with turkeys. A couple blinks of that light is usually better than waking the dead while crossing fences or moving through thick cover.

dejake

last year, I hunted a spot that I hadn't been to.  A friend told me that he heard where there was some gobbling.  I walked in with a headlamp.  To make a long story short, ?I probably walked in less than ten yards from their roost trees.  When daylight broke, 12 birds flew down.  had a hen land less than 5 yards from me.  They then proceeded to parade past me at 7 yards.  Granted, I went in about an hour before dawn, but they had to have seen me.  Go figure.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: dejake on January 19, 2015, 03:23:29 PM
last year, I hunted a spot that I hadn't been to.  A friend told me that he heard where there was some gobbling.  I walked in with a headlamp.  To make a long story short, ?I probably walked in less than ten yards from their roost trees.  When daylight broke, 12 birds flew down.  had a hen land less than 5 yards from me.  They then proceeded to parade past me at 7 yards.  Granted, I went in about an hour before dawn, but they had to have seen me.  Go figure.

Being early is a big key!! 

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens