OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

using turkey setup on 'yotes.....clean kill range?

Started by 200racing, March 20, 2011, 07:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

200racing

i had a coyote came crashing into my setup this afternoon. he winded me right before he stepped in the clear at less than 15yds

im shooting these in in 3" #6
http://www.basspro.com/RemingtonĀ®-PremierĀ®-Magnum-Turkey-Loads-Shotshells/product/22046/-224867

how close does he need to get for a clean kill if he does it again?
weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

HogBiologist

30 yds should be fine.  Watched my dad drop a yote at over 40 with a HV load of #5 lead a year or so ago.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

FttFttVroom!

Probably 40 yds is farthest i'd try to with my extended range 6's.  Put one down about that far last year.  I did go ahead and pop him one up close, but man I hate spending that much on a mangy coyote

Nimrodmar10

I don't know. I had to shoot one twice on a dead run at about 20 yards with a big load of #5 lead a couple of years ago. The good news is they're fun to shoot with any load or caliber you happen to have handy.

GC

While predator hunting I've shot about a dozen coyotes with a tight shooting 12 gauge 3" magnum 2 ounce loads of plated lead #4 turkey loads. Much past 25 - 30 yards tops and I had plenty of troubles with run off coyotes.  I gave that up and went in search of better performing loads.  After years of playing with loads and chokes now I've shot lots of them with a shotgun while predator hunting with No. Four Buck or tungsten loads of either T's or BB's - huge performance difference between turkey loads and predator specific type loads.

Nimrodmar10

If you're serious about shotgunning coyotes, get yourself a Pattenmaster choke and some Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote shells. Ugly! :o

bowhunter84

i watched my dad kill one @ 40yds with winchester #4's. he fell stone dead

Nimrodmar10

Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 21, 2011, 10:36:24 AM
i watched my dad kill one @ 40yds with winchester #4's. he fell stone dead

Golden BB

tgs

Just kill him...worry about "clean" later.    :z-guntootsmiley:
Pass the Tradition Along