OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

giving turkey hunting lessons

Started by reflexl, January 15, 2015, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I was approached a few days ago by a gent that has land full of turkeys and wanted to know if I will teach him how to hunt them. He wants to learn to call them up like he has seen on TV. Guess what my fee is going to be? :funnyturkey:

silvestris

Your fee will likely be worthless if you are successful in teaching.  Get ready for, "sorry, but there just isn't enough room for us both".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mgm1955

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

GobbleNut

Can't beat a deal like that.  Sounds like you have a great opportunity there.

VA_Birdhunter

Hope it works out for you and a close friend ship is forged!  Happy and safe hunting!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

TRKYHTR

Good luck and hope it works out. I would do it.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

reflexl

I hope this didn't sound misleading. I wouldn't really be overbearing. He has enough land and turkeys for several people. I will probably just kill one.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: reflexl on January 16, 2015, 09:29:50 AM
I hope this didn't sound misleading. I wouldn't really be overbearing. He has enough land and turkeys for several people. I will probably just kill one.

If I was you I would teach him but also show him how teams could work where one person does the calling ...etc.  Also show him how to call and such.  This way you guys may become hunting buddies and then you may have a more permanent relationship with him to hunt his land.  offer to film his hunt!

bamagtrdude

Good luck w/that "opportunity"; like others have said, we hope it works out for you. 

I've done this for several years now, and I've *YET* to kill a bird of my own doing it.  BUT, in my opinion, that never really was my goal; I was simply trying to help the other person experience the "thrill" of turkey hunting.  If you're desiring to kill a bird of your own, your "fee" ought to be to hunt the land by yourself & take 1 bird, like you said you wanted to do.  I'd negotiate that UP FRONT & make sure it's well understood.

Like others have said, develop a good friendship with the person, and when it DOES come together, you'll be as happy as school kids, like me & my buddy Charlie were this morning.  Honestly, I was like a proud father that morning!!  :)  hahaha
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

guesswho

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on January 15, 2015, 08:53:45 PM
Hope it works out for you and a close friend ship is forged!  Happy and safe hunting!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope it all works out and you get to kill a few over the next several years.  But I learned a long long time ago that a lot of folks don't mind you hunting, but when the killing starts they sometimes have a change of heart.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

reflexl

Even if I don't kill a bird there I would at least like to leave a good ethical turkey hunter in my wake. I love calling for others anyway but my intent is for him to be able to call them up by himself before its over. reflexl

GSLAM95

I have done what you are describing more times than I can count.  If they invite me back to hunt it's just a bonus.  There is far more thrill in turkey hunting than just pulling the trigger, teaching and guiding a new hunter can be just as rewarding.
Over the years doing just what you have been asked to do has both opened and closed doors for me in the past.  It all works out in the long run and the future will be what you make of it. 
I have seen generations of property owners come and go on some of the same properties I hunt today along with seeing the gate slammed shut on some as well.
Every time I take a first time turkey hunter afield and if they meet with success it is a true reward just to be there and experience it with them.  I wish you and the new comer to this great tradition and heritage the best of luck this coming spring and beyond.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

BigGobbler

Been there done that and have had results both ways. The best thing you can do is not over stay the welcome offer and invite him to hunt with you somewhere. Or you can teach him how to be a woods smart hunter and teach him to hunt turkeys on public land where he can experience the REAL in and outs of turkey hunting.
Good luck and be safe

BowBendr

Quote from: reflexl on January 16, 2015, 06:25:33 PM
Even if I don't kill a bird there I would at least like to leave a good ethical turkey hunter in my wake. I love calling for others anyway but my intent is for him to be able to call them up by himself before its over. reflexl

That's what it's all about. Good luck  :icon_thumright:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: silvestris on January 15, 2015, 07:41:53 PM
Your fee will likely be worthless if you are successful in teaching.  Get ready for, "sorry, but there just isn't enough room for us both".

I know this story too well.

Fastest way to lose ground you don't own is to teach the owner or owner's kid how to turkey hunt.