OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey killer the new Browning A5 in bottomland.

Started by Bustabeak, January 14, 2015, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

^ have heard this out of some too.

its also like having a benelli that wont shoot straight and benelli just shrugs it off

cfrye11

SwampHunter11b

cfrye11 Nice looking gun, what length barrel is on that Maxus? I've been looking for one in bottomland myself.

ALScott

Quote from: Bustabeak on February 25, 2015, 11:15:10 AM

I haven't yet, I just ordered a Indian creek choke. I'm waiting on it it get here. I'll let you know as soon as I do. I did get the 3.5 version. I've shot a lot of skeet with it so far and I love it!

I just received a TruLock in the mail Friday, hope to head to the range tomorrow.  Bustabeak what loads are you shooting skeet with?  weight, brand, etc.  Have you had any issues with the 3.5" cycling lighter loads?  How gruesome is the recoil with a 3.5" turkey load?

Bustabeak

Quote from: ALScott on February 28, 2015, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: Bustabeak on February 25, 2015, 11:15:10 AM

I haven't yet, I just ordered a Indian creek choke. I'm waiting on it it get here. I'll let you know as soon as I do. I did get the 3.5 version. I've shot a lot of skeet with it so far and I love it!

I just received a TruLock in the mail Friday, hope to head to the range tomorrow.  Bustabeak what loads are you shooting skeet with?  weight, brand, etc.  Have you had any issues with the 3.5" cycling lighter loads?  How gruesome is the recoil with a 3.5" turkey load?

I'm a fan of the winchester AA super handicap. They cycle every time I pull the trigger. I do have issues with it cycling the light loads though. The AA are just pricey so I shot some different loads and I actually found that the winchester universals from Walmart cycle. I've been buying those now. I haven't shopped out the AA's but the range charges 9.50 a box. So the brick of 100 of the universals are running about 28.00.  I've been using those mostly now. I usually buy the 7-1/2 in the Winchester universal. Like I said, I love the AA's, but man they hurt the wallet.

I haven't shot shot a turkey load, but I've ran about 6 boxes of 3-1/2 duck loads through it and it's actually not too bad. I had a super Vince before this and it packed more of a punch than my A5. I fell in love with this thing. I really like it.

ALScott

I started my new shotgun search this time last year.  Started with A400 and recoil is really awesome, it works as advertised.  However shooting "any load" did not, it wouldn't cycle 1 1/8 loads even after a trip to Beretta.  Finally gave up.  Tried the Super Vinci and I agree, recoil on it was rougher than A5 even with lighter loads, with 3.5" it would rattle your teeth.  I went with 3" in A5 as no 3.5" to be had.  Fit and finish of Benelli and A5 stomped the Beretta in my opinion and for guns well over $1K that matters to me.

cfrye11

Quote from: SwampHunter11b on February 27, 2015, 08:55:13 PM
cfrye11 Nice looking gun, what length barrel is on that Maxus? I've been looking for one in bottomland myself.

Mine is a 3.5" gun with 28" barrel .  I went looking for a 3" gun w/26". I'm my area best I could do was a really nice wood stocked gun. This was the only one in town and I loved the pattern. I'm going out of state in April and couldn't run the risk of ordering one.

cwb04

Quote from: SCGobbler on January 15, 2015, 09:32:23 AM
How long is the barrel on that A5?  I am a sucker for that drop receiver.  I have loved that look a very long time.  My Dad has an old fixed choke Remington 20 gauge that has the dropped receiver on it as well.  Something about the patent lapsed and then Browning picked it back up.  not real sure of the history.  I bet someone knows.

My buddy had a Remington 20 gauge just like the one your describing that was an absolute slug thower hunting deer in Iowa.  I believe it was a Model 11 if I am not mistaken.  From  a distance you couldn't tell the difference between his Remington and my Father's Belgium Browning.