turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good turkey boots?

Started by Model 1300, January 14, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model 1300

What is a good boot for turkey season. I'm looking for something that looks like the Muck boots that go up the leg higher but I'm not paying $150 + for a pair of boots. So what do you guys suggest for under $100?
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

dirt road ninja

Lacross Grange. I've killed plenty of birds and deer with them. Wore then until I bought a pair of Chippawa snake boots last year.

rusty4269

Under Armor HAW. One of the most comfortable boots I've ever put on.

Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11

backwater

LaCross Grange here as well.  The best fitting rubber boot I have ever worn. 

catdaddy

As some others have said--you can't beat LaGrange rubber boots for the money.

kevin2

My feet can't do the rubber boots. So, I went with Irish Setter with the Flex Lock soles. Couldn't be more comfy. Waterproof. Best boots I've ever owned. Zero break in time, which was the best part.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

SKFOOTER

Quote from: kevin2 on January 14, 2015, 07:40:25 PM
My feet can't do the rubber boots. So, I went with Irish Setter with the Flex Lock soles. Couldn't be more comfy. Waterproof. Best boots I've ever owned. Zero break in time, which was the best part.
Which model??

Gooserbat

Don't limit yourself by cost with footwear.  My boots are one of the most important things I hunt with.  There are some great bargain boots that you don't have to pay big bucks for but again I've paid mucho money for boots on different occasion and they are worth every penny. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GomerPyle

I wish someone would come out with a rubber pull-on that was snake proof.  I know Muck used to have the Woody Armour that was listed as being "puncture resistant" but I was never able to find anywhere that they actually claimed it to be snake proof. 

If anyone knows of a true snake boot made like a rubber pull-on, I'm all ears.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

bamagtrdude

Quote from: GomerPyle on January 15, 2015, 10:33:35 AM
I wish someone would come out with a rubber pull-on that was snake proof.  I know Muck used to have the Woody Armour that was listed as being "puncture resistant" but I was never able to find anywhere that they actually claimed it to be snake proof. 

http://dungarees.net/product_LaCrosse_425051_Alpha_Mudlite_Snakeboot_18_Realtree_APG|RTX|-7707-1.html?utm_source=Pricegrabber&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Footwear%20Boots

[NOTE: Cut-n-paste the whole link into your browser]

To an earlier comment, Chippewa made the best turkey/snake boot I've ever owned; big $$, but they rocked.  This boot above is probably one that I'm gonna get, one day.

The main PROBLEM I've run into with a straight-up turkey boot is -- the waterproofing wears out on 'em.  That's why these LaCrosse "rubber" snake-proof boots are very appealing to me.

BTW, I 100% agree with Gooserbat; don't limit your options by a $100 budget; to me, $159 for a bad-a$$ boot that'll last YEARS is well-worth the "investment"...  As Gooserbat said, you'll be on your feet A LOT during turkey season; might as well get something good.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Spring Music

Ive got a pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns that are just the ticket for me.

bammerslammer 50

I wear a pair of field and stream snake boots from dicks. I ain't sure what model they are but they don't have a zipper. I hate zippers. They have metal speed laces not plastic the waterproofing odds great after one season and they are really comfortable with a good set of dr. Shols in there. All in all I think I have $140 insoles and all. They do have to be broken In a little bit but I thought they were well worth the money.

dfresh55

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 15, 2015, 10:25:19 AM
Don't limit yourself by cost with footwear.  My boots are one of the most important things I hunt with.  There are some great bargain boots that you don't have to pay big bucks for but again I've paid mucho money for boots on different occasion and they are worth every penny.

I couldnt agree more with this, not only as a hunter as an athlete and as someone who has sold boots and shoes at local bass pro and cabelas.  Boots are that one thing that can make or break a hunt, most of us will be done when aour feet arent happy and boots are an area where you truley get wehat you pay for,

one thing you can take a look at is a brand like cabelas that may be a little over your budget but they will take boots back three years later and swap them out when you wear them out...(no i no longer work for them just a sugestion if price is a priority)

davisd9

Quote from: GomerPyle on January 15, 2015, 10:33:35 AM

http://www.basspro.com/LaCrosse-Alpha-Mudlite-18-Waterproof-Snake-Boots-for-Men/product/1110040501178/
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

born2hunt

^^^ I've worn a pair of Lacrosse rubber snake boots for three VERY hard deer and turkey seasons, and the many many miles of scouting that went along with them. Lots of hanging stands,thick briers and brush and they   are still going strong. Great boot if you want guaranteed water proof with snake protection too.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."