turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with a TRS-25

Started by SwampChickin, January 12, 2015, 06:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampChickin

Anyone know if I need a Picatinny rail to mount this optic to my gun? And while I am at it, anyone know if I can get a thumb hole stock for it? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbrady835

you can mount it using a weaver rail, I have one on my setup 835 w/ knoxx nrs, bushnell trs-25 claw sling in mossy oak obsession. I love the trs-25 I have a fastfire and I prefer the trs over it, the fastfire is on my backup. I'm not sure about the thumbhole you can call mossberg they may sell u one I have heard some people say they will and some people say that they won't so I dunno, but if you could order one from mossberg if they won't sell u a camo one I suggest mossy oak graphics gun kit for 30$ that's what both my guns have on them and they look great!! Good luck and by the way I cut my weaver rail down to fit the sight perfectly so I only have to use two of the screws to hold the base on and I have no problems with it keeping zero, it just looks better to me, sounds like a killer setup u r working on !!!! Good luck and happy hunting if you need anything else just holler back at me  :character0029:

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 07:52:49 PM
you can mount it using a weaver rail, I have one on my setup 835 w/ knoxx nrs, bushnell trs-25 claw sling in mossy oak obsession. I love the trs-25 I have a fastfire and I prefer the trs over it, the fastfire is on my backup. I'm not sure about the thumbhole you can call mossberg they may sell u one I have heard some people say they will and some people say that they won't so I dunno, but if you could order one from mossberg if they won't sell u a camo one I suggest mossy oak graphics gun kit for 30$ that's what both my guns have on them and they look great!! Good luck and by the way I cut my weaver rail down to fit the sight perfectly so I only have to use two of the screws to hold the base on and I have no problems with it keeping zero, it just looks better to me, sounds like a killer setup u r working on !!!! Good luck and happy hunting if you need anything else just holler back at me  :character0029:
Thanks for the quick reply!! Deer season just ended, so on with turkey!! Thanks again!!

Tbrady835

Stocky stocks.com has thumbhole stocks but they are laminated wood and are like 200$, I can't find anymore aftermarket thumbhole a except for the blackhawk talon, and it's not really a true thumbhole it's more like a pistol grip, but mossberg should sell u a black one, just asked my buddy and they sold him a black one they just wouldn't sell him a camo one to match his gun??? Go figure, and in that gun I will suggest a truglo ssx choke, and longbeard 3.5" 5 or 6 shot in that gun that combo patterns scary good!!!!

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 08:09:48 PM
Stocky stocks.com has thumbhole stocks but they are laminated wood and are like 200$, I can't find anymore aftermarket thumbhole a except for the blackhawk talon, and it's not really a true thumbhole it's more like a pistol grip, but mossberg should sell u a black one, just asked my buddy and they sold him a black one they just wouldn't sell him a camo one to match his gun??? Go figure, and in that gun I will suggest a truglo ssx choke, and longbeard 3.5" 5 or 6 shot in that gun that combo patterns scary good!!!!
Ugh.. Chokes.. That's a whole new ball game!! Thanks for the stock info. I've searched and searched to no avail!

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 08:09:48 PM
Hey Brady, is this the choke you're talking about? I've done a bit of research, and it seems it gets rave reviews from ultimate-mag owners?
http://www.bowhunterssupplystore.com/cart.php?suggest=54b47ae4a0abc

Tbrady835

Anytime buddy, if I can help u out anymore just let me know, yeah chokes are whole new ball game lol, I was just suggesting that bc I have exclusively shot an 835 for over ten years and have shot just about every choke and shell combo on the market!!! And for a 40$ ssx and ten longbeards for 22$ it's hard to beat those numbers they put up, I mean you can get shells and a choke for less than most other good choke tubes, that being said there are better combinations like an Indian creek bds and or a pure gold with hevi shot 7's prolly a little better numbers but 7-9$ a shell and 100$ for Ic choke and 75$ for pure gold...ouch I got kids!!!!! Lol

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 09:00:42 PM
Anytime buddy, if I can help u out anymore just let me know, yeah chokes are whole new ball game lol, I was just suggesting that bc I have exclusively shot an 835 for over ten years and have shot just about every choke and shell combo on the market!!! And for a 40$ ssx and ten longbeards for 22$ it's hard to beat those numbers they put up, I mean you can get shells and a choke for less than most other good choke tubes, that being said there are better combinations like an Indian creek bds and or a pure gold with hevi shot 7's prolly a little better numbers but 7-9$ a shell and 100$ for Ic choke and 75$ for pure gold...ouch I got kids!!!!! Lol
Haha!! No doubt..I'm with ya! I want the best bang for my money. No pun intended! So that is the choke that I am linked to? Just wanna make sure before I pull the trigger! And who makes those long beards? I can't find those!

Tbrady835

That's the one bud, it puts up a KILLER pattern with those lb xr's I can push 200 in the ten at forty with my stock choke and lb xr 6's!!!!! With the ssx and the same shells well I'm not gonna quote numbers bc I'm not a numbers guy but let's just say there's quite a few more with the ssx!!! Winchester makes the longbeards the actual name is winchester longbeard xr go to the pattern section and look at a guy named Matts pattern w/835 23"bbl ssx and longbeards 6's in the 260's in the ten!!!!

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 09:06:19 PM
That's the one bud, it puts up a KILLER pattern with those lb xr's I can push 200 in the ten at forty with my stock choke and lb xr 6's!!!!! With the ssx and the same shells well I'm not gonna quote numbers bc I'm not a numbers guy but let's just say there's quite a few more with the ssx!!! Winchester makes the longbeards the actual name is winchester longbeard xr go to the pattern section and look at a guy named Matts pattern w/835 23"bbl ssx and longbeards 6's in the 260's in the ten!!!!
Will do!! Thank you!!

Tbrady835

263 in the ten at forty mossy 835 truglo ssx and winchester longbeard xr #6

SwampChickin

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 12, 2015, 09:26:53 PM
263 in the ten at forty mossy 835 truglo ssx and winchester longbeard xr #6
Yeah!! That's insane!! I'm going with that setup for sure!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SwampChickin on January 12, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Anyone know if I need a Picatinny rail to mount this optic to my gun? And while I am at it, anyone know if I can get a thumb hole stock for it? Thanks!!

ATI makes a great adjustable stock for your 835. I'd second that recommendation for the SSX. I'm close to completing my "Turkey Choke Evaluation Project" with 30+ chokes and 3" Winchester Long Beard shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. The 835 was one of the test guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SwampChickin

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 13, 2015, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: SwampChickin on January 12, 2015, 06:41:04 PM

ATI makes a great adjustable stock for your 835. I'd second that recommendation for the SSX. I'm close to completing my "Turkey Choke Evaluation Project" with 30+ chokes and 3" Winchester Long Beard shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. The 835 was one of the test guns.

Thanks,
Clark
The Ssx is happening for sure. Still debating on optics at this point. And I haven't seen the ATi stock. My gun is camo, so all the Knoxx and tactical looking stocks are out. I really want that thumb hole stock Mossberg has. That wasn't an option when I bought mine I don't think.