turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best state for non-residents and why?

Started by jakesdad, January 12, 2015, 05:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Efey

Not mississippi! 3 birds in the spring, 1 per day but it will cost me about $400 as an out of state hunter to hunt my own private land for the spring 7ish week season

bamagtrdude

Texas.  Plus, you can hunt Ft. Hood, which has tons of birds & is public land (or, at least, you used to be able to hunt there as a civie).  I think Ft. Hood is over 300,000 acres??!!  hahaha...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

alclark2

I've only hunted Alabama as a non res. 5 birds, long season, under 200, enough public land. BUT.. there aint no birds in bama just so you know.

I've searched for hours on a DIY public land hunt in Texas and I don't really think its possible for most people. I really wanted to do a public land trip with my dad for hogs/turkeys but I don't see it happening. I can't get him to pay to hunt hogs eithers. He sees them as a nuisance and can't imagine paying to hunt them. Soooooo.... If you have land access great! If not.. SHOW them the MONEY$$$

Since I can't hunt Alabama this year I'm leaning toward a western hunt. It's between Kansas and Nebraska.

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

J Hook Max

Yes, there are turkeys in Alabama, even on public land. However, there are not near as many as advertised. I know, i live and hunt here for over 30 years ago. It just ain't what it used to be.

cornfedkiller

Having only hunted 6 states for turkeys (Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas), I'm not sure how much experience I have compared to others here...

Minnesota is a draw and you only get a few days to hunt.  Wisconsin is the same.  Iowa is expensive for non-residents ($125 NR license, then tags on top of that), so those three are out.

My three favorites were Nebraska, South Dakota, and Kansas.  Kansas tags were fairly priced and a two bird limit, but we found access to private land fairly difficult.  It seemed like many of the locals were not too excited about non-residents coming to hunt.

South Dakota was fun.  Tags are fairly priced, and there was again a two bird limit if hunting in the Black Hills.  There are over a million acres of public land in the Hills, and a ton of birds.

Nebraska is my favorite because tags are the cheapest, there is a three bird limit, and private land is fairly easy to gain access to.  The locals where we hunt are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and there are a ton of birds.  Of all the trips I have been on, Nebraska is the only state I consistently go back to year after year.

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

hobbes

Not to derail the thread but I was under the impression that SD Black Hills was 1 bird limit for a nonresident.

I've enjoyed hunting Nebraska in the past.
Birds are too scattered in MT and CO to make them a destination as you describe but could be bonus if you killed out in a neighboring state such as NE or KS.  CO mountain birds are hard to beat for scenery but they can be hard to find.

Hard gobbling easterns are hard to beat.  I used to think MO was king but I've not been there in a long time.   

If I was truly coming from Alaska I would make the hunt a loop through more than one state.

hunter22

If I am hunting private land I like Kansas and Oklahoma. If I am hunting public land I like Missouri and Mississippi.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: hobbes on January 13, 2015, 10:11:59 PM
Not to derail the thread but I was under the impression that SD Black Hills was 1 bird limit for a nonresident.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that we were archery hunting. In SD, you get an additional Spring Archery tag, but otherwise I believe you are correct - Black Hills is a one bird limit.

hobbes

Quote from: cornfedkiller on January 14, 2015, 08:37:33 AM
Quote from: hobbes on January 13, 2015, 10:11:59 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that we were archery hunting. In SD, you get an additional Spring Archery tag, but otherwise I believe you are correct - Black Hills is a one bird limit.

Nothing to be sorry about.  I was hoping I was mistaken and the limit was 2 for shotgun. :))

stinkpickle

Hire a guide on an Indian reservation in South Dakota, and they'll give you all kinds of tags.   :D

timberjack86

Tn has a lot of public land and a 4 bird limit, But our license fees are very high and they are going up even more this year.

Gobblerjim

ddturkeyhunter

Been to Florida Public Land hunting three times got one bird two of the three years. But Yes Florida is a hard state to Hunt on public land because of all the hunters.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 12, 2015, 07:00:36 PM
Kansas:  Plenty of public land, availability of tags, fair cost of tag and license, long season. 

Only down side is 2 bird limit but then you can jump across the state line once you tag out and head for Missouri, Oklahoma, or Nebraska and have another good place to hunt.

this
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.