OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best state for non-residents and why?

Started by jakesdad, January 12, 2015, 05:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

For arguments sake lets say you live in Alaska(because its the only state with no turkeys)and you want to come to the lower 48 to hunt turkeys and can choose only 1 state.Which do you choose and why? Price?Limit?Season length?Number of birds? etc................ :popcorn:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

budtripp

Well my first instinct was to say Missouri but then again we only have a 2 bird limit and our season is a measly 3 weeks.    So as much as it pains me to say that (I love our turkey hunting) I would say someplace like Tennessee (4 bird limit) Nebraska (3 birds and a loooong season) etc.

SCGobbler

Interesting question.  Let's see what the group comes up with.  I have always considered SC very high on their OOS licenses.

We do have a 5 bird limit 2 per day and the season runs from Mid March- End of May.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Gamblinman

Come to Texas..4 birds and all can be shot the same day - $126.00 non resident spring turkey license.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

CT Spur Collector

Gooserbat

Kansas:  Plenty of public land, availability of tags, fair cost of tag and license, long season. 

Only down side is 2 bird limit but then you can jump across the state line once you tag out and head for Missouri, Oklahoma, or Nebraska and have another good place to hunt. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mgm1955

TX. Super reasonable OOS fee, 4 birds, lots of birds. Then hit OK, reasonable cost, 3 more birds.

jakesdad

Texas=$126.00 gets you 4 birds? No other $ involved(tag/license)? That is very cheap!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Gamblinman

Quote from: jakesdad on January 12, 2015, 07:22:28 PM
Texas=$126.00 gets you 4 birds? No other $ involved(tag/license)? That is very cheap!

The $126.00 is your license and tags included. Of course, you'll have to find somewhere to hunt...not much public land in Texas. Keep an eye on the Texas hunting Forum in the outfitters page..there should be more hunts showing up there over the next couple of weeks. Most of the operations that advertise there are legit. Oklahoma is another option...more expensive license, but more public land. Stay away from opening week and weekends and you should be able to harvest some birds..and theres always Kansas.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Drthorn

cjr1

Another vote for Texas. Me and 3 buddies are going this year for our 10th year in a row.

GobbleNut

If you have an extra $500 to $1,000 to spend, then yes, Texas is the place to go.  You will need that to pay for access to hunt somewhere,...unless you have friends, relatives, or other contacts there.  Non-resident license fees don't mean much when you have to pay that extra money to find somewhere to hunt.

stinkpickle

Another vote for Texas, IF you have a place to hunt.  Otherwise, Kansas.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott