Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

At what Age does a turkey hunter reach his peak???

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, January 11, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook Max

That's a good topic. I am pushing 60 as is my longtime hunting partner. We both began turkey hunting in the late 1960's. Last season, him and I were hunting together and flubbed up a couple of birds two mornings in a row. Cliff said to me, you know I think I'm past my prime. I had to agree that I too was probably feeling the same way.
It mostly boils down to your senses not being as sharp as before. You do tend to have more patience which definiely helps but I just don't seem to hunt as hard as when I was in my 30's and 40's.
Your energy level also is not the same. Back then, no hill was too steep or no gobbling turkey too far to go after.
I still think of myself as a pretty good turkey hunter and love sharing what I've learned with others. I do feel however, that I'm not quite as deadly to those slick toms as I was 10-20 years ago.
Interestingly, I also saw this in my own dad when he got around my age.
Still, I'll keep after them until 100 if my health could hold out. It's my favorite sport of all time.

drenalinld

bamagtrdude

I think you've reached your peak when a) you can't get out of bed, b) can't hold up the gun, and c) lost your "drive" to do what it takes to bag a gobbler.  Frankly, I know people 18 years old that that statement applies to!  ;)  hahaha...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 12, 2015, 11:04:28 AM
I think you've reached your peak when a) you can't get out of bed, b) can't hold up the gun, and c) lost your "drive" to do what it takes to bag a gobbler.  Frankly, I know people 18 years old that that statement applies to!  ;)  hahaha...

That's a very true statement!  Many loose interest  after the first week or first two weekends. 

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

WildTigerTrout

Like flyfishing for trout, you turkey hunt your entire life and NEVER reach your peak. Both are lifetime sports and you will NEVER no all there is about either one!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

Bout like asking an old man how old you are when you figure out women. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cphill

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 12, 2015, 03:10:33 PM
exactly

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

owlhoot

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 12, 2015, 03:10:33 PM
That would be the answer.

gobbler777

This will be my 52nd Spring Season. For the last 4 years I've been guiding full time. I'm still learning every year and hope I'm educating those that I take. Will continue to hunt em until I take my last breath. Had two acquaintances draw their last breath with massive heart attacks while gobbler hunting ... not a bad way to go I reckon. Pure excitement!!!!! Yea!!!
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

grayfox

Don't think I'll ever peak. I didn't start turkey hunting until about 10 years ago & I'll be 56 next month.  The more I learn the more I realize what I don't know. I'm think I'm getting better but my body is deteriorating faster than my learning curve. LOL

ShortSpurs

I'm 78, been after them gobblers since the 1960s.

Ask me in another 10 years or so.

Crawdad

I am 74 & I have not peaked yet as far as my desire & how much I love & enjoy Turkey hunting. I also do not need to kill a Turkey to have a successful hunt. I can get a thrill just hearing them gobble & seeing them strut, but I reachepeak several years ago as far as my ability to hunt them ( although I still do). My lungs are shot after years of smoking & working with asbestos &  both my hips lock up on me after 1/4 mile on flat ground ( reason I hunt Kansas). No longer do I have to stop and wait on my wife & son, now they wait on me, but after saying all that, I am still looking forward to getting back after them this season. 

TrackeySauresRex

Great post!   keep em coming.  :popcorn:  I've bin scaring em for 25 years now. My hearing isn't the best now. When I'm teamed up with my teenage boy he's able to pick off the gobbling way off.   :turkey: He motivates me and has become a great turkey hunter at a young age. I can't wait for this spring.  We make a good team  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bigspurs68

I believe that at my viewing, I will have reached my peak. Many will be gathered around all sad faced, telling one another how great of a turkey hunter I was and remembering our hunts together. They will be telling stories of long spurred turkeys that I fooled,and stories of other great feats of woodsmanship that I may or may not have actually done. I will no longer have anything I can learn about turkeys. Period.
  In all seriousness, that will be the day. I will have done everything in my power to teach my children everything I know about turkeys and turkey hunting. I will have given them all the time in the woods that I had to give and I will have created turkey killers to follow in my footsteps. On that day, when I'm planted in the ground. I will have reached the peak of my turkey hunting life.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

SCGobbler

I'm 40 this year starting my 27th year turkey hunting.  I don't think I will ever peak.  I play scenarios and what ifs every time I leave the woods and lay my head down on a pillow at night.

That's what I like about the Wild Turkey.  He keeps me up at night thinking about what I could have done, what I should have done, what I'll try next time.

I don't think I will ever peak and if I do, I think I will give it all up.  If I peak, that means I have it all figured out.  If I ever figure out these birds, it won't be fun anymore.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge