OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

At what Age does a turkey hunter reach his peak???

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, January 11, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sman

As soon as you think you have it all figured out, a bird will send you back to the chalk board.

Huntingwithahoyt

Well as many have said I'm not sure if I will ever hit my peak???? This spring will be my 34th season in a row, I'll be 50 on Easter Sunday. I do know without a doubt I'm a much better turkey hunter now than I was half those 33 seasons ago...I've learned to slow down and be much more patient which no doubt has enabled me to kill more birds.....standing rule I now have since learning from my best huntin buddy in the world.....when I sit down, look at the clock and don't get up for a minimum of 45 minutes! Can't tell you how many gobblers have succumbed to lead poisoning from this....many many will show up during this time frame....think about it....gobblers are on the move too.....even with hens they are usually on the move somewhere
May not be to my peak but I'm a lot closer to the top than I used to be

20 ft up in a treestand!

mikejd

I would say your last hunt before they box you up.

If you are not learning something every time out something is wrong.

West Augusta

I would say that you would have peaked when you can call in a longbeard to a few yards, sit there and admire your adversary, and watch him walk away and never touch your gun.  I know a few old timers that do this.  I haven't reached this level yet.
They've gotten over the kill but never got over the hunt.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

surehuntsalot

turned 56 this past nov. been chasing these birds for 40+ years, I may have slowed just a little bit, but I certainly have not peaked
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Cut N Run

I'm 54 years old and started pursuing turkeys 33 years ago.  I understand the game better and have more patience now because experience has taught me what to do and what not to do along the way. I certainly don't have it figured out because I get schooled by turkeys almost every year in one way or another. I'm still working towards that peak, but haven't hit it yet, because it will be downhill once I do.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

tomstopper

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on January 12, 2015, 10:13:37 PM
I believe that at my viewing, I will have reached my peak. Many will be gathered around all sad faced, telling one another how great of a turkey hunter I was and remembering our hunts together. They will be telling stories of long spurred turkeys that I fooled,and stories of other great feats of woodsmanship that I may or may not have actually done. I will no longer have anything I can learn about turkeys. Period.
  In all seriousness, that will be the day. I will have done everything in my power to teach my children everything I know about turkeys and turkey hunting. I will have given them all the time in the woods that I had to give and I will have created turkey killers to follow in my footsteps. On that day, when I'm planted in the ground. I will have reached the peak of my turkey hunting life.
Awesome..... Bigspurs every year I am impressed with what you and your girls accomplish. Cant wait to take my little girls out when they are old enough. You my friend seem like a wonderful father and should be complimented on how you are raising your girls. They will never forget the quality time you spend with them.... As for the post, IMO you never reach your peak. I learn something new everytime I venture out. Love it..... When I am dead, I will have reached my peak.....

Bigspurs68

Awesome..... Bigspurs every year I am impressed with what you and your girls accomplish. Cant wait to take my little girls out when they are old enough. You my friend seem like a wonderful father and should be complimented on how you are raising your girls. They will never forget the quality time you spend with them.... As for the post, IMO you never reach your peak. I learn something new everytime I venture out. Love it..... When I am dead, I will have reached my peak.....

Kind words buddy, thank you! You'll find the most frustrating, stressful, aggervating, satisfying, rewarding and fun times in the woods with your kids. I'm sure you'll feel the same.
  As parents of kids that hunt, we aren't allowed to "peak" until our kids know all that we know and can pass it on. Striker, my 3 yr old boy is chomping at the bit. With his wild man attitude, I may have my hands full. I can't wait.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Marc

That age in which you go out on your final turkey hunt... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tail Feathers

I hope it's age 98 and that I reach my peak before I die. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1tiogabowhunter

Awesome thoughts and thanks for the responses.... My turkey hunting mentor is 74 and still getting it done!   He has a big pile of turkeys to his credit but if you ask him he always is quick to say that the ones he has messed up on along the way is way bigger then the pile he has harvested!  I asked him this question and he replied much like some of you have.  However he said that he won't go after some birds that are really difficult to get to like he would have in his 50's and even 60's.  He also says he probably kills a few that he woulda left when he was a little younger. 

I am 51 and have been hunting turkeys for about 40 years and i have no doubt that I am way better at getting em killed then i did when i was far more impatient...

I like many of you have a ton to learn and look forward to each lesson that I get from the wild turkey we all love to chase!

bmhern

When you lose your hearing and can no longer see , I guess you have reached your peak. I'm 61 and hunted turkeys most of my life, I learn something new every year.

VA_Birdhunter

What I'm surprised most about this thread is the number of older hunters on the board  50-60+ age group.......awesome to see!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens